Trifle

“My hair is fine.” Eddie insists (for the tenth time, in the small amount of time it takes her walk across the parking lot.)

‘I told you to take the subway or let me bring us. But nooo.’ Venom’s tone is somewhere between snooty and sarcastic. ‘Instead, you take that stupid motorcycle and wear that stupid helmet – that you don’t even need – and now, your hair is all flat!’

Eddie scoffs, pauses just a few yards from the entrance to the building (away from other ears and eyes...) “My hair is fine, V.” She bites out through gritted teeth.

‘No!’

What do you think you’re doing?!” Eddie hisses when she feels a tiny tendril shooting out of either side of her neck.

‘Shut up and thank me.’ Venom ignores her protests. In fact, he doesn’t even give her time to protest any further. He works quickly, the ends of his tendrils splitting into three little digits. His makeshift inky hands gently tug the hairband, low ponytail loosening and her dark blonde curls spilling over her shoulders. He ignores the lovely tickling feeling as her thick locks brush over his tendrils. Instead, he gently scrapes her hair up into a messy bun on top of her head. ‘Ta-da!’ He exclaims gleefully (proudly), tendrils both shooting instantly back (snugly) into her. Now, it’s all fluffy and good again.’

Eddie’s eyes narrow in both suspicion and suspense. She quickly pulls her phone out of her stupid little clutch purse – because one needs a purse when one is wearing a goddamn dress with no pockets and no goddamn bra. She pulls up the camera, arches brow at her reflection. She’s surprised, somewhat impressed. “Huh.” She chirps, turns her head from side to side for different angles. She nods approvingly at him as she slips her phone back into her clutch. “Not bad.”

Of course not. It shows off your elegant neckline.’ Venom says, all business. He’s not even really complementing her. He’s just saying what he sees.

Eddie wrinkles her nose, while fighting a blush (though, she doesn’t know why she bothers, because he can still feel her blood rushing.) “Elegant? Really?” She asks, sounds disbelieving. “My lovely old man always used to tell me I was too muscular lookin’ for a girl.” She scoffs loudly. “Kinda rich comin’ from him, considerin’ what he did to me.” She jokes, and not-so secretly (of course) is deeply comforted by the fact that she can so easily talk about it with her “other half” – as Anne likes to (teasingly) call him.

‘Because I am your other half. Even Annie knows it. Because she is smart. Because she is a lawyer.’ Venom states without a stutter (not that he ever really stutters anyway... unless Eddie or Annie are making fun of him!) He enjoys her pretty laugh – because it’s him making her laugh like that... or at all. He then, tells her, ‘I’m not even going to dignify your pathetic excuse for a sperm donor by giving into my fury over a dead man. He is forever with the rot of the earth, where he belongs.’ His slightly fierce tone suddenly softens as he then, tells her, ‘You are perfect, Eddie. And I’m not just saying that because I think so, but because you are.’

“I’m really not.” Eddie chuckles when she hears him grunt in annoyance. “But you’re sweet, V.”

‘I know.’ Venom (too) happily chimes.