A Badass Powerhouse Duo

[Virginia, 2041.]

‘We could try the wings again.’

‘NO. Mooom!’

“No, V.”

‘Wha – I – you are such a little tattle tale, Dilly!’

Eddie chuckles as she listens; as Dylan lets her listen from afar. As far as Eddie can see in her mind, and through both her son’s and her darling’s eyes, they’re in the middle of the forests, just a few miles away from their farm.

‘You know I hate flying.’

Venom scoffs, sounds exasperated as he replies. ‘You can literally leap further than ME! The distances you can cover – you might as well be flying!’

‘Well, that’s not the same.’ Both Dylan and Eddie snip out in unison, “Well, that’s not the same.”

Venom chuckles, and Eddie’s annoyed scowl instantly melts over the fondness and the raw love he feels for them both. She feels it often, almost all the time, yet, it always makes her own heart swell just as happily, each and every time she does.

“D, baby, lemme log off now, OK? I need a nice hot bath after shovelling around cow poop. So you and your dad have fun. I love you.”

‘OK. Love you, too.’

“Love you, too, V.” Eddie chuckles when she hears his low grumbling.

‘Love you, Eddie.’

“See you soon.”

‘Soon.’

And then, Eddie is left in silence. It’s nice, but only for short whiles like this, when she gets to take a bath in peace and maybe smoke a quick joint on the back porch while she watches Trailer Trash Boys on her phone before her babies get home.

First, she turns the oven off – pizza finally cooked, Dylan’s favourite all time food – then turns to grab the oven mitts and almost has a heart attack when she finds she’s no longer alone. She jumps and gasps at the tall black figure, but the initial shock wears off quick enough when she takes in those double pair of ruby red eyes and those pretty golden stripes going across his chest, along with his “golden halo” – she and Anne like to call it – no longer the little ring around that tiny inky head.

“Sorry for scaring you, mama. I didn’t realise father wasn’t with you.”

“S. Why didn’t you tell me you were comin’?” Eddie practically whines his name, instantly rushes over to his hulking form, almost as big as his father’s.

Sleeper smiles as she wraps her arms around his waist, wraps his arms around her, too, hugs her tightly, breathes in her familiar and warming scent. “I’m just passing through, mama. Can only stay for an hour, unfortunately.” He grins proudly down at her when she pulls her head away from his chest to pout up at him. “Have another mission. Important. Could end up saving the world.”

Eddie’s always secretly known – as a mother does – how much Sleeper looks up to his big brother, but it also means he gets a little jealous sometimes. Bless his sweet symbiote soul, he tries so hard to keep it well hidden, is never malicious or resentful, and that makes her love him all the more. Still, she worries for his mental health sometimes, wonders if he tries too hard to be the hero he already is; tries too hard instead to be more like his brother.

Eddie hopes she and Venom can teach their second son to be his own person, just like they incredibly, managed to do with their first son.

Still, that doesn’t mean she won’t ever encourage him to do what makes him happy. She smiles proudly back up at him, lifts a hand to pat him on his burly chest, almost wider than his father’s, and tells him, “Don’t forget to tell me all about it when you win.” He grins back down at her, those pearly white fangs glinting down at her, and Eddie’s motherly insides melt.