Mate

Eddie lets out an exasperated sigh after hearing a frantic knock on the front door. “Between you singin’ along to ‘The Little Mermaid’ and whoever the hell this is, I’m not gonna get my Sunday lie in, am I?” She grumbles as she fights to lift herself from her bed.

“It is Patrick. And Toxin!” Venom slaps the laptop shut and tosses it back onto the bed... along with Eddie.

Eddie scoffs when he shoves an inky little hand into her face and shoves her back down onto the bed just as she stands up. “Fuckin’ rude!” She hisses, but has to purse her lips to keep from smiling fondly after him as he floats out of the room with a loud cackle.

“Good morning, Patrick!”

Eddie can’t help rolling eyes and smirking to herself as she hears him excitedly all but tear their front door open before happily greeting the Detective (for once.)

“Uh, yeah, hi. Can I come in, please?”

“Of course! You are family now!”

“Uh... yeah... thanks.”

Eddie would smile at that, too, only she frowns instead, because she can hear how frazzled the man sounds. She quickly slips out of her robe and into a pair of baggy jogging bottoms and manages to find a t-shirt that isn’t too wrinkled before finally making her way out into the living room.

Patrick offers his usual smile when he sees her, but it’s not as bright and enthusiastic as it usually is when he looks at her.

Eddie frowns softly, voice just as soft as she asks, “What’s wrong?”

“I, uh... I just... I just ate someone... again.” Patrick takes deep and slow breaths to calm himself. Though, it helps that Toxin adorably tries to ease his anxiety.

“Ah.” Eddie nods. “Coffee?”

Patrick gulps and nods.

NO. No coffee. Whiskey always helps Eddie calm down.” Venom practically demands as he floats over to the kitchen and begins to rummage through the cupboards for any left over bottles.

“Yeah. Thanks for practically callin’ me out as an alcoholic, V.” Eddie snips out, sarcasm lacing her tone.

“No problem.” Venom chirps back, barely gives her another glance.

“I mean, it’s not even lunchtime yet, but I just bit off and ate another person’s head, so fuck it, why not?” Patrick huffs out.

“Here, let’s sit down for a sec’.” Eddie gently places her hands on his shoulders and just as gently guides him over to the couch.

“OK.” Patrick mumbles, nods and lets her lead him to his seat. He watches her take a seat opposite him, perching on the edge of the coffee table before asking, “How do you deal with the guilt?” He’s not even angry with her, he just feels slightly helpless.

‘Venom... he told me... if a thing feels, it SHOULD feel. You... WE... FEEL... We are not... monsters... because... monsters... they do not feel a thing...’

“He’s right.” Eddie agrees, shoots him an amused smile when he shoots her a surprised look. “They’ve got a hive mind thing goin’ on. Toxin will learn to block us out when he wants to, but until he does, V can hear everything. Including you.” She grins when Patrick’s eyes widen.

Venom is also grinning as he floats back over and hands Eddie the two glasses. “Don’t worry, Fatty Patty, you’re sexual fantasies over Eddie are top secret.”