Hidden

Anne and Dan’s wedding goes down like Eddie knows Anne deserves; pretty much perfect – if you don’t count Dan’s asshole drunken uncle laying into one of the ushers for accidently showing him the wrong seat. But for once, Eddie is there to make sure Anne’s life goes smoothly – which she knows she more than owes her best friend for always doing the same for her (or trying to, anyway – Eddie knows how difficult she can be, in general.) Even when Dan’s uncle tries to get rude to her, Eddie manages to quickly put him in his place... even after Dan’s uncle switches his attitude to flirty and tells her that he likes a bossy “girl” (yikes.) And even when Eddie can feel her other half threatening to pour out of her and make himself known to the asshole, she manages to keep that from happening at the same time. And all without the bride and groom even knowing.

But besides that, yeah, everything goes accordingly and a couple of Anne’s friends even try to make Eddie feel more included in their girl talk. Eddie goes along with it, of course, even if she not so secretly (to Anne, anyway) thinks all of her other friends are kind of stuck up.

‘They’re beyond stuck up. And boring... And if Uncle Too-Many-Hands touches you again, you won’t be stopping me, Eddie. I will be tearing his hands off and stuffing one down his throat, and I’ll let you figure out where I’ll be stuffing the other.’ Venom tells her as she finds the bar, orders a brandy and finally takes a moment for herself.

Eddie just about holds in a laugh at his sulky words, hides her grin by taking a sip of her brandy.

‘Not sulking. Don’t like him. He’s... leechy.’ Venom tells her as she finds a vacant spot down the other end of the bar – people are still slowly trickling into the hall, the bride and groom having yet to arrive.

“Agreed.” Eddie says, takes another few sips – she promised Anne that Venom wouldn’t let her get drunk until at least half of the guests leave. The music is already playing, DJ on the stage before the acoustic band arrives for the new married couple’s first dance, and Eddie can’t help watching in envy at the couples already forming on the open dance floor.

‘We can dance forever, Eddie. Just you and I. Don’t need anybody else.’

“That sounds...” Eddie thinks about it, ends up smiling as she says, “Pretty romantic, actually.” Her smile widens when she feels his glee.

‘Am getting better, aren’t I?’ Venom asks, sounds rather proud when she chuckles quietly. ‘Am watching all the romantic movies I can find at night, Eddie. Last night, I watched “The Notebook,” “Love Actually,” “Desperado,” and “Weekend At Bernie’s: 2.”’

Eddie chuckles, takes another sip, quickly flags down the bartender for two more before replying to her other half. “OK, I’ll give you ‘Desperado’ – ‘cause both Antonio Banderas and Selma Hayek are the hottest couple ever –“

Venom’s groan of delight cuts her off. ‘Ugh. SO hot.’

Eddie smirks, then, asks, “But ‘Weekend At Bernie’s?’”

‘Oh, no, I just love that movie, and wanted to watch it again.’ Venom feels that lovely giddy feeling every time she gives him that pretty laugh of hers. ‘You could dance with Patty again?’ He asks rather timidly, still feels her watching the couples.

Eddie knows where he’s going with this, and while she would love to – “I’m not really comfortable with leadin’ him on, V. I know you think it’s just a dance, but if you like someone in that way – which we both know he does with me – it means a whole lot more. No matter how small, and no matter how much you tell yourself it doesn’t. You always end up hurtin’ anyway. And I’ll only end up bein’ the cause of his hurt. I don’t want that. We’re finally friends. Besides, you do remember how much he didn’t like or trust me when we first met him, right?”