Sleeper

[New York, 2035.]

“ARRRGGH–FUCK!” Eddie clutches at her swollen stomach, doesn’t bother to ask her other half to help her, because she knows he’s in almost as much pain as she is right now. “Why the fuck does it hurt this time? V, you said it wouldn’t hurt! When Carnage was born, we barely even felt it! We didn’t even know he was born until we saw him!”

‘Calm, Eddie. Breathe, my love.’

Eddie trembles, but tries to do just that.

Whoa, hey!” Clint and Dan are at either side of her in a heartbeat, each gently latching onto her upper arms to hold her up. “Let’s get you sat down.” Clint says, smiles reassuringly at her as he and Dan walk her carefully through Tony’s lavish apartment (one of many he has dotted around the globe) and slowly lower the pregnant woman down onto the red velvet couch.

“Stark’s gonna be pissed I soaked through his pricey couch.” Eddie manages to get her words out through gritted teeth, even manages a smirk.

Dan rolls his eyes, but Clint chuckles. “He can buy another one. It’s no big deal to him.”

“Besides, you need to worry about yourself right now, nothing else.” Dan adds, then looks concerned as he asks, “How’s Venom doing?”

‘I am fine.’ Comes Venom’s choppy anger in her head, his voice then quickly dissolving into concern as he thinks, ‘This one is afraid, Eddie. Our spawn is afraid. That’s why we are in pain... why you are in pain.’

“V said – ARGHH!!” Eddie tries to tell the two men, but folds in on herself as another wave of pain rips through her entire body.

Venom instantly spirals out from her, doesn’t stop there as he forms his hulking humanoid mass – Clint and Dan have to quickly step back, lest they be thrown across Stark’s living room – and takes a knee before her, though, he still has to dip his head down a little more before he’s finally face to face with her.

“I’m... I’m OK, V.” Eddie breathes out the words, has to, if she wants to speak at all right now.

Venom frowns. “You are not.”

“V –“

“And it is my fault, Eddie.”

Eddie scowls, doesn’t like that sad look on his face or that weird tone of his voice. She goes to speak, hisses, clasps both hands over her hardened baby bump, and still shivers warmly when he places his impossibly large inky hands over hers. Her jaw clenches as she fights to speak. “What’re you talkin’ about? How can it be your fault? You’re the frickin’ baby daddy.”

Clint purses his lips, holds onto his amused smirk, whereas Dan just looks on in concern. He’s more of a brain doctor than a baby delivering doctor, but he knows enough to hope for the best outcome – and the fact that Clint delivered two of his own three children is also a big help.

“Towels.” Dan says. “We need towels. And warm water. And drinking water to keep her hydrated.” He glances to the archer, shoots him a hinting look.

Clint glances back to the couple, then, nods and follows Dan. “I’ll show you where everything is. Hopefully Nat and Sam will be here by the time we come back.”

Venom waits until both men are out of earshot before finally answering her. “It isn’t impossible for more than one symbiote to share the same host at a time, but it’s not... comfortable... Sleeper is waking up now, Eddie, and he will need a host for these first few months of his life. He needs his mother, but he is too afraid to meet you, because that would mean meeting his father, too.”