Little Sh*t

[New York, 2039.]

‘He’s almost here, Eddie. Can feel him more, the closer he gets...’

Eddie can feel him, too. Can feel that he’s almost here. Both she and Venom can feel him racing closer. Racing closer towards all creation. Racing towards all light just to snuff it out with his darkness. His hands wrapping around the world’s throat, she can almost feel it already. Venom, too.

“I feel it, love.” Eddie acknowledges, then switches the mute off of her ear piece after checking her mother’s old wristwatch and seeing that it’s time to check in again. “Cap? You there?”

This is it.

No more running.

No more hiding.

“Yeah, Brock, I’m here.” Sam’s voice instantly comes buzzing through her comms. He sounds almost as tired as Eddie feels, but also sounds no less chirpy than usual.

That’s the thing Eddie admires most about him – he gets the job done with a single complaint. He appreciates his position.

Eddie takes a deep breath before replying, “It’s time.”

“Uh, yeah, copy that. We got a situation just come up here. Call me back when the kid’s safe, and you’re hopefully on your way.” Sam’s tells her, sounds less chirpy and more stressed now as he barks out orders to Bishop and Romanoff.

“Not a problem.” Eddie switches off her comms for now, takes the ear piece out and shoves it into her pocket. She takes a couple of seconds to compose herself, just stares down at the lights flickering around the city below her, wind whipping roughly around her, but unmoving her.

‘He wants to help.’ Venom tells her after a moment, voice soft, slightly guilty.

“Well, can’t be easy bein’ head of the Avengers.” Eddie sympathises. “And now, we’ve all gotta deal with another alien invasion. I’d apologise to him, if it weren’t for the fact that this fucks all of us on planet Earth.”

Venom scoffs out an amused laugh through their thoughts, then, tells her, tone rather snooty, ‘You know I wasn’t talking about Sam.’

Eddie huffs, zips up her leather jacket and quickly pulls her long and rather shaggy hair into a loose bun on top of her head. “He can keep wantin’, ‘cause he ain’t gettin’.”

Venom says nothing, but Eddie still feels the guilt tugging at her heart over the slight disappointment.

“Come on, V, I know he’s special, OK? But he’s still a human child. One that deserves a human childhood. Or at least half of one.”

Venom doesn’t disagree. Still... ‘He could end all of this before it ever had time to begin. It’s what he was made for.’

Eddie glares down at the flickering lights, glares down at the city who have no idea they’re all about to die... probably. “No, V. He was made for us to love him. Nothin’ more and nothin’ less.”

Venom is taken aback by her harsh and rather angered tone. Though, he immediately feels guilty when her words register. ‘You KNOW I didn’t mean it like that!’

Do I?” Eddie scoffs, folds her arms over her chest, the toes of her boots hanging over the edge of the rooftop, glare still set down in fury over the city lights and busy night traffic. “Because it seems like your suggestin’ we send a child to fight a fuckin’ ancient alien god of darkness!”