i missed you | erling haaland

four months ago

"i don't think i can do this anymore," you whispered. you were currently sitting on your bed in your apartment in dortmund.

"what do you mean?" erling's eyebrows furrowed, as he grabbed your hand, trying to meet your gaze when you looked away from him.

"you're going to be in manchester soon, erling, and i'll still be here. and as much as i want to come with you, i have to stay here, my life is here, my family, my school. my life is so permanent here, it's not as easy to move to another country for me, as it is for me." you could feel yourself getting choked up at the idea of breaking up with him, but you knew it was something you had to do.

"but, but we can make this work, y/n. plus it would only be for a year anyway, and then you can come and live with me next year. we can definitely last an entire year long distance, and it's not like we won't see each other at all, you get breaks, and so do i, so we will be able to see each other multiple times in the next year. we can make it through this, i really don't know why you're breaking up with me," your heart broke when you saw his eyes fill with tears.

"i don't think i can do that though, i wish i could, but i can't. i've spent pretty much every day of the last few years with you, so it will just be easier if we're apart, and we can live our lives normally for the next year, without the pain of constantly missing each other, because i know for a fact that i would miss you more than i've ever missed anything else before."

a single tear slid down erling's cheek, matching the ones that were streaming down yours. "i'll miss you so much," his voice breaks as he pulls you into a hug.

"i'll miss you, too."

"i love you so much, y/n, and i always will. i'll be waiting for you if you come back to me, you know that, right?"

you couldn't help but nod, knowing that every word he spoke was the truth.

***

present day

you were currently sat in class thinking about that day in may when you had ended your relationship with erling, and to say you had been miserable since then would be an understatement.

you didn't know how horrible you would feel in the months after, not having him there to speak to every day, even if it was just over the phone. your mind wandered to where he was, and what he was doing, and if he was thinking about you as much as you were thinking about him.

later that day, you were over at your best friend's apartment.

"you look miserable," she said to you, handing you your drink, as she sat next to you on the sofa.

"that's probably because i am," you gave her a small smile, before your face dropped back to the sad face that you had been walking around with for about three months.

"it's because of erling, isn't it?" you didn't even have to nod, because she already knew. "listen, y/n, this probably isn't going to be the thing you want to hear right now, but you have to call him, or go and see him or something. i can't stand seeing you like this constantly. i love you, and i care about you, and seeing you miserable like this is awful. i know more than anyone how much erling meant to you and how much you loved him, and i'll be damned if i don't see that smile that he brought to your face ever again."

"okay," you smiled, "i think i have an idea."

"ah, this is much more like the y/n i know and love. so, what did you have in mind?"

***

"am i a complete idiot?" you asked your best friend, who was sat next to you on your flight to manchester. "what if he doesn't want to see me? or, even worse, what if he's already found someone else?"