german | pedri gonzalez

pedri, in a couple of days, was going to meet your extended family for the first time, most of whom couldn't speak much english let alone spanish, so you had decided to teach him a few of the most common phrases.

"so, the first one is guten morgen, which means good morning. go on, try it," you were sitting with your body twisted towards his on the couch, so you could get a better gist on how he was picking up the words and phrases.

"gutten morjen," he said, completely mispronouncing the words.

"a bit too spanish, but a decent effort. the 'u' in guten is pronounced as an 'oo' rather than an 'uh', and the 'g' in morgen is more like how you'd pronounce it in 'gonzalez'. got it?"

he looked at you with a sad expression on his face. "i don't think i'm ever going to get it," there was a small pout on his lips. "like you said, i'm too spanish for austrian."

"it's german, baby, just the austrian version, but that doesn't matter. how about we try another one? try grüss gott, it means good afternoon."

he sighed before repeating the phrase back to you. "grüss gott."

"hey! that's it! that was perfect, well done, see i knew you'd start to get the hang of it," you beamed at him, loving how much it meant to him that he got it right, as he knew how much your family meant to you, and you wanted them to get along more than anything.