Eat

(Gavin K. x Connor, Warning: mention of neglect)

It's been awhile since Connor last ate. He’s skinny, more skinny than usual. He’s barely eating the food at school. Everyone at the table can hear his stomach. Everyone is worried. Especially me. “Connor, aren’t you gonna eat?” He shook his head ‘no'. He stopped eating lunch a few weeks ago. After school. He’s been walking very slow. He leaned against a wall (when you have low iron be like). Almost as if he was about to collapse. All a sudden he just fell over. Everyone was unfazed by this. The rest of the group wasn’t here either. I walked up to him. Just to check on him. Turning him over to see that he passed out. Moving his stuff near the wall. Bring his head into my lap. He’s adorable when he’s asleep.

It’s been a few hours since he passed out. I’m not too worried about it. Since my parents are not home all the time. Seeing that Connor is waking up. His eyes shot wide open. He looked around, wondering where he was. He stared at the wall of the school, then to me. His gaze softened. He sat up, holding his stomach. Almost like he’s in pain. “Connor?” He looked over at me. Almost like asking for help. “What?“ He's so clueless. He still held his stomach. He must be hungry. Reaching into my bag for some food I packed just in case. A mini bag of Chex Mix, since that’s the only stuff my parents buy. I handed him the bag. “Here, take it.” He took it but didn’t open it. “Aren’t you going to open it?” He stared at me like I said some crazy shit.

“I’ll eat it later.” Later? He means never. I took the bag and opened it. Taking a few pieces and placing it in his hand. “Eat.” He looked at the food then to me. “You sure?” Of course! That’s the reason why I gave you the bag! So you can eat. I nodded ‘yes’. He popped it into his mouth and chewed. His eyes lit up. Doing the grabby hands for the bag. I gave him the bag back. He’s eating it like he hasn’t eaten in weeks (he probably hasn’t). He stopped eating to look into the bag. Did he finish it? He crumbled up the bag and gave it back to me. He finished it. Wait, I think I have another one. Took out 5 more bags. Pushed them over to him. He immediately opened them and ate. He’s eating. Why didn’t he eat lunch? After he finished eating.

He seems to be panicking. Almost like he shouldn’t have eaten anything. “Gavin, can I stay at your place?” Why is he asking that? I mean I guess he can. “Sure.” I knew the way home and to my grandparents. He stood up with me only his legs wobbled. He hasn’t been eating. Passing out. The constant hunger but never eats. I walked him to my house, seeing that my parents weren’t home. I knew it. Led him inside and to the couch. “Stay.” I left for the kitchen. Searching through cabinets, the fridge, anything that involves food. I found some stuff that didn’t involve using the stove or microwave. I came back to Connor with the food. Gave him everything. “Eat.” He was happy. He ate it like he won’t ever eat again. I didn’t ask questions. But he told me about things that happened at home (from pt.3).

I felt heartbroken. Angry. His Mom limited how much he ate. That’s happening with me but not that bad. Not to the point of not having him eat. He has no way of eating lunch on the weekends. He stopped eating all together. He’ll stay with me here. He’s safe here (he truly is). “I’m sorry for eating everything.” Looking down at everything. It really is gone. He did eat everything. That’s good. If he’s eating that means I’m doing something right. “It’s fine.” He shook his head like it’s not okay. Oh, Connor. I handed him another bag and he gladly took it. I’m gonna make sure you eat.

Total of 707 words - Alaphi