Chapter 25: Fleeing the capital

Eunsang, "Lastly, we have Yeji from the Yun clan."

Yeji swallowed the lump in her throat and stepped forward.

Sian looked at Yeji thoughtfully while twirling the dagger in his fingers.

Eunsang stepped closer to the king and said, "My king, she is the last candidate...I think you should choose her."

Sian looked at him," I thought you don't like her!"

Eunsang, "Well, I don't but I am also your advisor and I want you to get the spiritual stone as soon as possible."

Sian looked at him and smirked, "I like your advice and I was thinking the same but there is a problem....if I select her without hearing her answer first, the other clans might revolt for killing their candidates."

Eunsang, "You're right, my king. Then what should we do?"

Sian cleared his throat and announced, "Eunsang, serve water to everyone....it has been long enough and everyone must be thirsty."

Eunsang signaled a servant to serve everyone with water.

Yeji's POV

Why all of a sudden he is serving water? This is very unlikely of him. He doesn't care about the well-being of anyone and even if everyone was thirsty, considering his extravagant nature, why would he just serve a glass of plain water?

The servant offered me a glass of water as well. I accepted the glass and took a sip to satisfy my dried throat.

"Ahem!" Sian cleared his throat drawing everyone's attention back to him, "Let us resume the selection process." He said and looked at me, "Let me repeat the question for you once......often I am running but still, I have no legs. You need me but I don't need you. What am I?"

I became so anxious that I could hear my heartbeat.

"You are sweating abnormally....why don't you consider drinking the water in your hand?" I heard Sian.

I drank the water and took a deep breath.

Wait......water! Something that runs but doesn't have legs...I need it but it doesn't need me.

I looked at Sian, "Your Majesty, the answer is water!"

He smirked and started clapping, "Magnificent! I pronounce you as my queen."

"Long live the queen!" Everyone rejoiced. 

I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. I will finally become the queen of this kingdom.

"Invite the kings, queens, princes, princesses, and other respectable nobles of all the kingdoms for this auspicious moment. The wedding and coronation will take place after two days, after which, there shall be a grand masquerade ball. Everyone go and prepare....court is dismissed." Sian announced and smiled at me while leaving the room. Sir Eunsang followed him and slowly the other courtiers also left the room.

I walked near the throne, "After ages....this kingdom is getting a queen...", tears started to roll down from my eyes as I recalled my days in the brothel...

Flashback~

15 years ago

"Yeji?.....Where are you?"

"Mother! Here am I", Little Yeji's voice was heard from a room. Her mother opened the door of the room and found Yeji wearing a necklace as a tiara.

"Mother, look...I am a queen..."

"YEJI!" The mother snatched the necklace away from her, "What have I told you about the queen?"

Little Yeji looked down, "That the king hates the queen and dreaming to become a queen would be a criminal offense."