Chapter 40: A generous king

Jimin's POV

As soon as we reached the palace, Jeongguk went to serve Eunsang as his newly appointed bodyguard, Jin hyung and Yunki hyung went to greet the other council of ministers, and Taehyun, me, and Hosung hyung decided to take Donghyung to visit Soyoung. But as we were silently walking down the corridors of the queen's quarters, I felt something eerie.

"There's a supernatural presence here...I can feel their presence!" I said.

"Of course! Soyoung stays here..." Taehyun said.

"No no....there are at least 2 other supernatural beings here apart from her..." I mentioned.

"I heard that the king burnt down the queen's palace entirely killing all the consorts of his father....maybe it is haunted?" Hosung hyung gulped looking here and there.

I shrugged, "Could be..."

"Are they near us?" Hosung hyung asked.

I shook my head no.

"Alright...you go first, we will follow you!" Taehyun pushed me in front and grabbed Donghyung's right arm, "Hosung hyung, hold his left hand...we must protect the little one at any cost!" He said to hosung hyung.

Hosung hyung held Donghyung's hand as I started to lead the way.

"Why you both holding my hands?" Donghyung asked.

"So that you don't get lost!" Hosung hyung replied.

"I no child...hmph!" Donghyung pouted as the three of us giggled.

As we reached in front of Soyoung's room, I froze in my tracks.

Taehyun bumped into me and asked, "Ouch! Why did you stop?"

I pointed in front of the door and said, "Father-in-law!"

"Huh? Where?" Hosung hyung asked looking at where I was pointing

Taehyun gasped in shock, "Does that mean?!-"

That's when father-in-law's eyes met mine and he came towards me. As he came near I could see burn marks all over his body.

"You can see me?" He asked and I nodded.

I grabbed my hand and cold chills ran down my spine. "Please look after my daughter!" He said solemnly, "I never realized that I would go so soon..."

My vision became blurry as tears formed in my eyes, "How did it happen?" I asked.

"Sian burned down the entire mansion....everyone died!" He said.

"I am sorry...we were not there to protect you!" I fell to my knees and sobbed.

"Jimin..." Hosung hyung grabbed my shoulders. "Father-in-law, I hope you can hear me...." He looked here and there and continued in his unusually low voice, "We will take revenge for you...I promise!"

"Who you talking?" Donghyung asked in confusion.

Hosung hyung crouched down to hug Donghyung, "No one, my child...no one...sigh!"

Taehyun looked at the wall and said, "And I promise that we will protect Soyoung with our lives....you just..." Taehyun's voice broke as he continued, "You just rest peacefully...."

"That is all I needed to hear...I shall leave now!" Father-in-law smiled.

I clenched my fist, "HOW CAN YOU LEAVE WITHOUT HAVING YOUR REVENGE?"

"I don't want to become a vengeful spirit...I would like to reunite with my wife now...thus please bury my body in Mount Ether!" He said and vanished. "And my sons, all my blessings are always with you...." That were his last words that echoed around the corridor.