038 | we'll be okay

As the morning pasted by and Jack's flight had landed in Los Angeles, he turned his phone back on once he collected all his baggage, quickly stopping in his tracks and moving off to the side as he looked through all the missed calls from Valentina. Calling her before he decided to do anything else, impatiently gazing around the airport as he held the phone up to his ear.

"Hey.." Valentina answered, letting out a sigh of relief as a result of him finally arriving.

"Hey, is Adalyn okay? What's going on?"

"Could you come to the hospital.."

"W- what happened?"

"She.. she lost the baby.." she sniffled slightly as the boy was left speechless. "I'm sorry, Jack, I hate to be the one to tell you- or anyone for that matter, it's such a devastating thing.."

"I'll be there soon.."

"I'll see you soon," she replied before he had hung up the call.

Jack stood there in the airport emotionless for a moment, soon glancing down at the text from Valentina confirming which hospital they were at before crouching down and running his fingers through his hair while subtly shaking his head — not wanting to accept the news.

As the reality set in a few minutes later, he brought his attention back to his phone and stood up again as he called his mother. Keeping the talking quite vague, not wanting to talk much as he asked her to pick him up and take his baggage while he meet Adalyn at the hospital, which she quickly agreed to.

And within half an hour they were arriving at the he hospital and Jack already had teary eyes, yet to explain to Kristin why he even needed to be there. But needless, she didn't ask questioned, telling her son to call her if they need anything else as he got out of the car.

"hey.." Jack exchanged the smallest of smiles with Valentina as she met him at the entrance.

"Adalyn's going to be so glad that you're here.."

"Why isn't she home yet?" he furrowed. "Have you not been here very long?"

"mh-hm," she shook her head as she directed him through to the girl's room. "we've been here since like three.. they won't discharge her till someone she's willing to stay with signs the paperwork.."

"really?"

"they're just concerned for her, and she doesn't want to be around me, which is fair, but that meant she's had to be here all morning.." she continued to explain as they walked into Adalyn's hospital room.

Jack softly frowned at his girlfriend asleep on the bed, headphones in to block out the sound of the beeping machines she was connected up to for monitoring, as he walked over to her side. His eyes trailed down to the scars on her arms as he gently intertwined his fingers into hers.

Crouching down and resting his forehead against the edge of the bed while keeping ahold of her hand and taking in a few deep breaths to control his breathing pattern. Soon glancing over at the entrance as a nurse entered, quietly talking with Valentina to find out Jack's relation to Adalyn.

"I'm so sorry about your baby," the nurse attempted to comfort Jack as she walked over closer to him. "It's no one's fault, unfortunately these things happen and it's devastating so it's okay to let your emotions out."