Chapter 57

The emergency room.

The split mouthed woman repeated her question many times. She didn't get an answer and finally closed her mouth, giving up on the idea of asking Xiao Li about her beauty.

There was a brief silence before the split mouthed woman stated, "I'm thirsty."

Xiao Li wanted to say, "I'm thirsty too," but he refrained. As a doctor, he had to put the patient's needs first. He glanced left and right, not seeing any cups around to hold water. Eventually, he got a beaker from the back of the cupboard, got some cold water from the bathroom and gave it to her.

The incandescent light shining overhead illuminated the split mouthed woman's face. She looked at the dust on the edge of the beaker and didn't pick it up. Instead, she put the scarf back on layer by layer.

She was turning around to leave when Xiao Li stopped here. "Wait, you didn't answer my question."

The split mouthed woman stopped walking and cast Xiao Li a deep look.

Xiao Li repeated his first question. "How did you get the wounds on your face?"

He pointed straight to the female's face and the other side's eyes suddenly changed, becoming full of complaints. The vague voice of the split mouthed woman came from beneath the scarf. "It is time for you to go and check the rooms."

Having said that, she put her hands in her pockets like an ordinary human and walked out of the emergency room.

Rooms... in the inpatient department? Did this mean tonight's emergency department would only have one patient?

Xiao Li put his pen that was originally in his pocket into the chest pocket of his white coat and went to the inpatient department.

********

Compared with the emergency department, the inpatient department was much more depressing. The lights of the corridors weren't turned on like they were afraid of disturbing patients in the ward. The front desk where nurses were supposed to be on duty was empty, with only a night light to dimly light up the area around it.

Xiao Li went to the inpatient department, pulled out a flashlight and knocked on the door of the first ward. The first ward wasn't locked so he knocked on it. There were no patients inside.

Xiao Li tried the entire first floor and found no one living there. Finally, he went up the stairs to the third floor of the first ward. He had just knocked on the door to a room when a heavy object dropped.

Xiao Li knocked twice again. "I'm the doctor here to check the room."

The sound broke the silence and echoed in the corridor.

The moment he spoke, the room was silent. Then it was followed by the sound of footsteps and someone opened the door from the inside. "You... Sherlock, weren't you in the emergency department? What are you doing here?"

The man in the room was Guan Yu, who was wearing a cap pressed down on his head.

There was still a bit of panic on the young man's face. The sudden knock on the door had frightened him.

Xiao Li replied, "I came to check the rooms. Why are you here?"

"Check the rooms, do you really consider yourself a doctor?" Due to the afternoon headless ghost matter, Guan Yu had a strong impression of Xiao Li, otherwise, he wouldn't have necessarily replied. He scratched the back of his duck-like head and explained, "I came here to check for clues."

Guan Yu had an item that allowed him to not be detected by ghosts. This protected him for a period of time when looking for clues. The disadvantage was that the duration was very short. He only slipped into the inpatient building late at night to see if there were any clues, otherwise, who would want to see the ghosts in the hospital in the middle of the night?