Chapter 96

Xiao Li stood at the edge of the well, his hands propped against the side of the well as he looked at the bottom of the well and asked, "Can I ask you for the way out?"

His voice echoed at the bottom of the well but there wasn't a response. Xiao Li retracted his head and looked into the distance thoughtfully. He changed his way of talking and asked, "Or should I ask, how can I go out?"

The ghost lay at the bottom of the well, hair scattered and expression unable to be seen. Only her lingering voice was heard. "Sherlock..."

Xiao Li wondered, "It isn't over yet?"

The well ghost didn't continue calling but let out a prophetic whisper, "You can't get out..."

Xiao Li smiled. "Oh? What if I go out? Will you come with me?"

He just finished speaking when he rejected his own idea. "Oh, forget it. You have to live in the well and it isn't good to raise you."

The well ghost, "..."

Who wanted to eat this person's rice?

Xiao Li stood up and stretched out his arms. "Then talk. How do we get out of here? Looking at where you live, it is beautiful. You shouldn't want to deliberately trap us here."

The well ghost didn't speak. She lay at the bottom of the well and maintained her position of not moving. Some sobs were squeezed out of her throat.

Xiao Li spoke with a bit of guilt. "You are a ghost, you shouldn't have a fracture or anything... right?'

The ghost slowly lifted her upper body. Xiao Li didn't know if it was his illusion but he seemed to hear the sound of bones breaking inch by inch. She reached out a hand and slowly said, "You can leave here at any time but I will always be with you."

Xiao Li nodded. He said goodbye to the well ghost, got up and stepped across the bridge into the distance.

Zhou Ying didn't immediately leave. He had been following Xiao Li while looking at the well ghost. After Xiao Li left, the child bent over to pick up some pebbles and threw them into the bottom of the well. The well ghost watched the pebbles in front of her. Her long hair separated from her scalp, revealing terrible eyes that stared at Zhou Ying. Zhou Ying made a face and jumped back to Xiao Li's side.

"Ah-" There was a cry full of grievances from the dry well and the frightened Hao Ge immediately dragged Xiao Li in the opposite direction of the bridge.

This time, the fog in the haunted house faded away and they left the area of the well ghost. Hao Ge finally stopped with Xiao Li and stood there gasping. He didn't see what Zhou Ying had done. Once he and Xiao Li turned away, he intermittently spoke. "W-W-What was that from the bottom of the well?"

Xiao Li knocked on Zhou Ying's forehead and then said to Hao Ge, "I don't know. Perhaps she saw her food reserves slipping away and wasn't happy."

The reference to 'food reserve' caused Hao Ge to remember the plates of meat from the ghost house. He really didn't want to become these ghosts' food."Then we will go quickly and leave this haunted house."

They both stepped forward. The doll and Zhou Ying followed Xiao Li and looked at everything curiously. They left the well and the road in front of the haunted house was shrouded in darkness.

There were no lights in the haunted house, only the candles on the walls. The white cloth in the barrier area of the intersection floated on the wind and hindered their sight. The ceiling here was so high that the reincarnators looked up and had the illusion that it was an open-air area. The air was filled with water vapour and there was the illusion it was condensing into water droplets.