Pumpkin eater Part 3

12/28/22

"Are you...Mad at mommy and daddy for hurting you?"Xavier's mother asked staring at Xavier's pumpkin head, no response from him. "Ah thank goodness, I feel so relieved..."Xavier's mother imagined a make believe response to her question from Xavier and she was answering it. "I always tell your father to be more careful when he's driving, but he never listens...". The woman picked a maggot off of Xavier and tossed it, she ignored his now blue-green skin "There, I know that feels better...".

Day 10

Cheyenne's mother's sprayed countless bottles throughout the house, the bugs and maggots were getting worse but she couldn't see the bugs were cause she had a rotting corpse in her house. She was thinking something went bad in the pantry, she saw a fly and just when she raised her bottle to spray it she had run out so she put her hands up. She saw the fly land and impulsively smacked her son's pumpkin head. "Oh my! I'm sorry for hitting you, did that hurt?!"Xavier's mother asked in panic. While her mother was hard at work cleaning the house, Cheyenne nowadays avoided going inside as much as possible. Everyday when she came home her brother's body would be happily greeting her, she just couldn't handle the rotting sight and smells anymore. Green and brown juices dripped from his crushed head, it wasn't rotting meat or spoiled milk it was death.

No kids wanted to be near her either, in the corner of her eye she could see them gag and hold their noses. Her friends were slowly avoiding her expect Randy, but that didn't mean he was used to the smell. Cheyenne's father came back in the house after a long night but his wife wasn't pleased due to the time, "Where have you been? It's rather late"Cheyenne's mother stated. "Work..."He lied rubbing his neck in case any lipstick was left on it thankfully there wasn't. "Our son was asking about you because you failed to show up for dinner again, you're worrying him sick!".

The father groaned in annoyance, he wished he stayed a little longer at his lovers house.

Day 14

"Cheyenne, I'm sorry dinner was little rushed taking care of your brother was consuming most of my day today"Cheyenne's mother apologized but the apology seemed invalid when it looked like she just threw in whatever food she could find in a pot. Cheyenne would have preferred to have her mother order pizza or fast food if she didn't have time, there was no excuse the places were open at this time and they didn't take that long to arrive. Cheyenne put some chard apple salad on her fork and she shirked at what she found in it, a maggot crawling in her food. "*Sighs* Cheyenne, what did I tell you about washing your hands before you eat?"Cheyenne's mother sighed.

That was it, that maggot was the last straw. "Stop it already! How can pretend everything is normal?!"Cheyenne shouted fully losing her appetite knowing a maggot was in her meal. "Dear, tell her that everything is normal"Cheyenne's mother turned to her husband who was chewing his food without a care in the world, he could be eating a maggot and he probably wouldn't care or notice. "Listen to your mother, she is correct"He said when he swallowed. "But that's not true!" "Why do you insist on talking back? You are a child you don't understand anything, treat your parents with some respect!"Cheyenne's mother spoke back.

After dinner Cheyenne was forced to help her brother to his room, the smell this close to her nose was almost killing her. She carefully put him in his bed trying to touch him as little as possible, she saw maggots started to take tiny nibbles of his rotting flesh and she hid the sight by pulling the blanket over him more. She had never been this close to puking. Cheyenne went back to her room and just sat on the floor with her back to the door, she wished she had the courage to tell someone but that meant they'd get caught in this too. She was stuck with a corpse and she didn't know what to do.

Day 17

Another day another trash bag full of empty bug spray, Xavier's mother got out a wet rag and started dabbing Xavier's green skin. It was taking more rags to 'clean' him off now with his skin rotting, but the skin wasn't the only thing going bad it was the pumpkin expect it wasn't noticeable. Xavier's mother thought she just had to scrub his skin harder but since the skin was rotting away a piece of skin came off. "Your sister has been refusing to do the Landry, can you believe it? I wish she was as well behaved as you, no one wants to spend time with dear old mom"Xavier's mother pitied herself as she cleaned. "That's why you've always been my favorite..."

Then, the phone rang. Xavier's mother answered the phone, "Yes I am the mother...What?! My daughter said that, about that I think a raccoon died in the walls she's just overreacting Cheyenne has a vivid imagination"With that Xavier's mother hung up the phone and clenched her fist. Cheyenne's mom had to drive to school to pick her up from school, she drove her daughter home in silence.

"Okay, explain yourself your teacher said you were insisting on not going home because there was a corpse in our house, do you know how embarrassed I was?!"Cheyenne's mother released all the anger she was holding in until they got home, "But it's true! There are insects crawling all over the house! I can't take it anymore I feel so sick!"Cheyenne pointed to her brother's corpse in anger. The mother glanced at the body, "Your brother says you're being rude, I agree with him". "Mom he's dead! He'll never respond, it's awful living here!"Cheyenne argued back.

Cheyenne's mother took that as a great offense, "What a horrible thing to say about your brother, I thought I raised you better than that!". "Everything went downhill since he died! The food is rotten, it smells horrible here and dad is never around! And I don't blame him!"Cheyenne argued. The mother lost herself for a second and slapped Cheyenne's cheek, her eyes widen at the reddening forming on Cheyenne's cheek. She had disciplined Cheyenne and Kenneth plenty of times but she never went this far, now her daughter was on the floor shaking. "Cheyenne, I didn't mean it I don't know what came over me you know I'm so stressed with taking care of your brother..."Cheyenne mother tried to apologise and walk towards Cheyenne.

Cheyenne got back up with her fists clenched, "I don't know who you are anymore but you're not my mom, I hate you!". "Cheyenne-" "NO! You can't hide this anymore!"Cheyenne shouted then sprinted for the telephone, she was going to call the police. Cheyenne's mother grabbed her by the hair before she could even touch the phone, it was difficult to drag her cause her hair was cut short so she just grabbed her by the arms. "You Insolent child! After everything I've done for you!"Cheyenne's mother screamed as her daughter screamed louder in pain. When she reached her daughters bedroom she threw Cheyenne in it and the door locked. Cheyenne started banging on the door begging her mom to let her out but her mother wasn't even listening to her, "Oh I'm sure you're tired of the arguing as well, your father disagreed for awhile but he eventually learned that mommy always knows best"Cheyenne's mother said. "We just need to wait a little longer til your brother heals up, you believe me right?".

"Let me out, I'm sorry!"Cheyenne begged just to be let out, "If you were really sorry you would have been a better sister, you can start being that now"That was the last sentence the mother said before walking away from Cheyenne's locked bedroom. That night, Cheyenne had a nightmare.

Maggots covered every inch of her body, they crawled all over her and twisted to crawl deeper in her skin. She would scream but her mouth was stuffed with the disgusting bugs, they crawled over her pumpkin head and ate away at her pumpkin head and skin. The door creaked open, "Hello there, my sweet baby boy. I was just checking on you, did I disturb your sleep?"Cheyenne's mother came into the room ignoring the maggots eating away her skin. "No...I'm not my brother, leave me alone!"Cheyenne wanted to scream but the maggots flooded her mouth. The mother kissed the pumpkin head, pieces of guck getting on her lips, she was lucky no maggots got onto her lips and she left the room. Cheyenne was left with maggots crawling all over her eating her away.