Chapter 1

"How old are you gonna be when you get married!?" A middle aged man yelled from his seat, his hand was extended in the air and he held a cheap blue pen as he stood in a squatting position to ask the question. My mother looked at me and gave me a small nod.

"I am planning to get married by the age of twenty. If I do not find someone by then, a marriage will be arranged," I said calmly even though the question tickled me the wrong way.

"What about kids!?" Another voice asked. This time it was a female voice. Her hair was blond and her dress was blue like her eyes. Her face was caked in orange makeup.

'What about kids?' I'm seventeen years old.

"When I get married, and the time comes, I will have a child." My mother shook her head as I spoke.

"She will have many children. Many heirs to the throne if something goes wrong," she corrected. I didn't want many children. Two, to keep each other company.

"Yes, many children." I smiled at the crowd. Camera flashes from all around the room went off as my teeth showed.

"What are you going to do while you rule?" Another person asked. I fake thought about it for a moment. I glanced at my mother and nodded. We've had conversations about how to answer the press many times before.

"I plan to make everyone's lives a lot easier," I said. The crowd booed and sighed which made me smile. "That's all I'm saying, sorry." I shrugged. The conference continued as normal, the only difference was; most of the questions were directed towards me because I was going to be the queen in a matter of days.

While I was in the middle of answering a question a loud gunshot rang through the room. My ears started ringing and I couldn't hear anything. It was as if I had shot the gun myself. I fell back, my chair followed. My dress was stained with blood splatters. I put my hand up to my ear and when I looked at it all I saw was a blurry hand covered in blood. I couldn't hear my mother rush to my side, I couldn't hear any more questions or camera clicks. Everything was quite.

It was peaceful.

I closed my eyes, the shock was gone now. Pain zipped through me a hundred miles an hour. It started at my right temple and stopped at my collar  bone, a short distance but the pain repeatedly went over the same spot over and over again causing the pain to be so much more intense.

Soon the pain was gone, I couldn't hear, see, or feel anything.

___

When I opened my eyes, I was surrounded by machines, my heart monitor was beeping at a fast rate. I pulled a cord out of my vain.

The beeping got faster.

I ripped the tube out of my nose.

The beeping got louder.

Before I could rip anything else out of my body a flood of nurses ran in and surrounded me. Some of them held me down as the others placed the tubes and cords back inside my body.

I tried to kick and scream but my head pounded and no sound came out of my throat. A hoarse, "No!" Was all I could get and it wasn't even clear, the 'o' was dried out and took to long to say and the 'N' was the same. I stopped trying to talk.

The nurses left after 'fixing' me and my family flooded in next.

My mother held my hand as she smiled and cried. "I'm so glad your okay," she said crying into my hand. My father placed a bouquet of flowers at the foot of my bed and was teary eyed when I looked at him.

"Where is Alex?" I asked seriously, looking at my mother. Her eyes sagged and her face saddened and hardened at the same time.

"Alex?" She asked, probably to ensure what I was saying. I nodded.

"My brother? He's like twenty three?" She stared at me with grief.

"Honey, Alex passed away," she said. It hit me then. The picture of my brother hanging, spinning and swaying from his ceiling. I wanted to puke.

"I might puke," I admired to my mother. She nodded and wiped her tears.

"Here, they gave us small bags. Use this if you need to," she said. I dug my face into the bag and let loose. Food I hadn't eaten in days was removed from my system.

"He killed himself," I mumbled to myself in disbelief.

"Yes," my mother cried. I grabbed her hand.

"Sorry you had to go through that because I couldn't remember it," I said. My mother shook her head and smiled.

"It's okay, your okay. The doctor will be in here very soon to tell you everything, okay?" My mother played with my hair. I nodded.

"Your hair is getting so long, Adeline." She said pushing it behind my ears. I nodded.

"I know, I need a haircut. Desperately." My mother laughed and shook her head.

"I think you look good like this." She stared at my face then around the room. "Well, not like this but- you know what I mean." She said awkwardly, it's amazing how great she can be for the press but how awkward she is for her own family. "You look great," she finished.

I giggled and my mother and father both talked to me as we waited for the doctor.

___

When the doctor made an appearance, the drugs I was on had almost completely worn out.

"How are you feeling, Miss Adeline?" He asked flipping a page on his clear clipboard. I looked at myself and laughed.

"I'm doing fantastic, getting shot feels nice actually," I said lightheartedly. The doctor, who's name tag read. 'Mr. Dion,' looked at me through his eyebrows and then to my parents.

"She's sorry," my mother said. "She doesn't feel well." I shook my head.

"I was just joking, lighten up," I said to him. He stared at me in shock and back at his clipboard.

"You should be fine to go tomorrow morning. Make sure to keep the wound clean—the nurse should have given you stuff for that—and replace the dressing every morning and night." My mother nodded. Mr Dion nodded a goodbye and left as quickly as he had appeared.

Soon my mother and father left, I was alone again. Every now and then a nurse would come in and take my blood or replace my dressings, one injected some weird green liquid into my wrist and the color of it never faded. A small dot on my wrist was dark green.

At first I didn't get much sleep but soon the nurses started coming slower and slower and I could get a few hours of sleep before they would return and wake me again for a urine sample.

Word count: 1169
March 1
First book 🙌🏻