Chapter 41

Hayden and I were sent to Sonya's fashion room while everyone else planned and whatever excuse they made for us to be together.

I'm walking at least five paces in front of him. And, though he's hardly walking, I have to speed walk to keep it that way.

We have to stay alert because we're not supposed to be out of our dorms right now so we're walking close to the bushes that run along the school to have an easy place to hide.

We don't talk the whole walk.

When we finally get there, o open the door for myself and let it close on Hayden. He grunts in annoyance.

I stop walking. Hayden bumps into me but I don't bother scolding him. The room is far more beautiful than It had been the last time I was here. Sonya had clearly had some free time to make new, improved dresses. All the finished ones were all on some kind of pedestal, on manikins. The unfinished ones were thrown over a long white foldable table.

It takes almost everything in me to hold myself together.

Those pieces of art will never be finished.

I look away from the unfinished works. Hayden is waking around, looking at the dresses and suits as if he's confused. It's making me want to punch him.

"What?" I hiss.

He glared at me.

"I was just wondering, to myself, how Sonya got so much money. She was always talking about how she never had money—"

"She sold her stuff," I say. "The first few pieces weren't as perfect as these but they were beautiful. She must have made a tone of money."

"Yeah, clearly if all her dresses have thousands of diamonds on them."

"Shut up," I say annoyed. "Pick your stupid suit so we can get out of here."

"You haven't picked a dress yet," he says with a flag tone, his face is screaming 'stop being a b*ch' but I don't care

"I know exactly what I'm going to wear, thank you," I say rudely. I'm going to wear a red dress. Not too crazy but also not to underdressed, don't want to bring too much attention to myself.

Hayden ends up picking a black suit with a red button up shirt that goes underneath, the exact suit that goes with my dress.

____

We take our clothes and bring them to the others. They love that they both go together and think they're perfect.

I leave my dress and Hayden's suit on the round table and go back to the couch. We put everything back how it was before, Mattie and Abby are tied up on the chairs still, but in the corner of the room now.

The meeting is in a few hours and I still haven't thought of how we're going to get there.

"Okay," Daniella says snapping me out of my thoughts. "I bought some ear pieces so we can hear what's going on," she says handing me and Hayden a black ear piece. "Hopefully this will make you feel safer," she smiles.

"Thank you," I say.

"Thank you," Hayden says too.

I glare at him.

"Your welcome, both of you!" She says pulling us both into a three person hug.
"Sonya would be so happy," she whispers into my ear once the hug is over. I smile to be polite.

"Okay, go change into your outfit!" Sam says happily. "I wanna seee."

The dress I picked is a perfect fit. Because Sonya made if for me 'when we first met,' she told me when I asked her about it.

It was a gorgeous dress, obviously not as advances as her newest items but it's perfect.

Plus, it has two red masks covered in tiny little fake rubies that goes with it. Perfect for Hayden and I to wear to the masquerade.

When I rejoin the group from changing in the closet, Hayden's back, in his suit and ready to go.

"It's gorgeous," Sam gasps as she sees me walk out of the closet. The rest of the group turns to see me too.

"Wowww," Jody says. "Sonya has outdone herself again."

I smile and nod. I show them the two masks that come with the outfits, with a smile on my face I put mine on, it's basically a supper hero mask, only covering a small sliver of my face near my eyes. My smile drops as I toss Hayden's to him.

"Adeline, remember your dating him, please don't let your emotions get in the way of this mission," Levy warns as he sees my mood change.

I nod. He's right.

"I'm in character the second we get there," I tell them.

"Start now," Levy says. "It's better to practice."

"No. As soon as I see the building, I'm dating Hayden, no before and no after. That's my final answer."

Levy deflates with a huff. "Fine." Then he turns to Hayden. "Please don't let her ruin this," he says.

I scoff.

"Don't worry," Hayden says eyeing me. "I won't.
____

Turns out, we get a driver to pick us up, courtesy of Mattie and Abby. He's in a black car. Mattie told us he didn't know what the people he was going to pick up looked like so we would be fine to just get in without worry. She also told us where he would be waiting for us.

When Hayden and I get in the car, we don't talk. The driver doesn't talk, doesn't say hi or anything, he just drives.

The ride is long and boring. I have to fight the urge to fall asleep, scared to smudge the makeup Daniella spent so long putting on me.

When we get there, The driver opens Hayden's door and he climbs out, he puts his hand out for me to grab, to help me out. I take it and smile but have to fight back an eye twitch.

We had both out our masks on in the car so the driver wouldn't have a description of us if he were to be asked for some reason, it was Hayden's idea.

Once the driver leaves, we take our masks off and walk into the bar.

Word count: 1036
7-14-23
9:38 pm
So many chapters 😭😭
Can you tell I'm bored??
More coming soon!!
(Didn't proof read)