Chapter 50

Hayden and I are waiting outside where we did last time for our car. As usual, the car doesn't know who's being picked up, just that someone is and whoever is at the designated spot at the designated time, is being picked up.

We're sitting in the grass staring at the night sky and waiting, kinda hidden in a bush. I sigh as I stare up at the sky, the tiny lights shine down on us both.

"So, why do you make the arranged marriages such a hassle for your poor parents?" Hayden asks.

"Huh?" I ask, caught off guard by the question.

He doesn't wait before talking, repeating his words exactly without a hint of annoyance. He smiles after.

"Oh," I say, another sigh. "I want to marry a man I love, a man who's not scared to love and can live, hard."

We're both quiet for a while before he grins ear to ear, it's hard to see his face in the darkness of night but his cheeks rise and it's obvious he's smiling.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing," he says, touching his chin and running his hand along his jawline. "If if were me though, I would just marry whoever," he says.

"What? You don't care about live?" I ask.

"I do, just not that much. Finding someone to love is hard, if I had the option to skip having to find someone, I would take it. Plus the fact I probably would only have to talk to her for press things and paparazzi, you know."

"Never thought of it that way," I say.

"Well, A lot of people don't."

"Still, I want to be able to choose who I marry, it's my life not just theirs. They can't take over it."

"That's true too," he says getting up from the grass and wiping himself off. He reached out a hand for me to grab and I take it, he pulls me up and we stand together as the car approaches.

When it teaches us, he lets me in first, holding the door for me as I enter, and follows behind.

"You look nice today, sir, ma'am," the drives says with a nod in both our directions.

I let a small thank you escape my lips as Hayden strikes up a conversation with the driver, asking him all kinds of questions.

The driver doesn't even realize Hayden is just starting to find information and just spouts on and on about his life and his job and boss.

When we finally get there, i immodestly notice how much smaller the building is this time. It's not where it was before, this is a new location. We're surrounded by woods, the sound of trees rustling and small insects fills the air. A chill runs down my body as the wind picks up.

Hayden grabs my shoulders and leads me into the building, leaving our driver with a smile and a short wave.

"Can you guys hear us?" He whispers into his hidden microphone.

"Yep. Loud and clear!" Daniella yells, making it instantly obvious there's something hidden in our clothes. Jayden tells her to turn the volume down and she does. We do another sound check and it's good.

Then we walk in.

Hayden and I.

Hand in hand.

"Your hand is sweating," Hayden says without looking at me.

"Hands sweat. It's normal."

"Yours is sweating quite a lot," he says with a hint of a smirk.

"We're in a very nerve racking situation," I say, blush painting my face a light pink because I know that's not why my hand is sweating.

And Hayden does too.

"Attention!" The woman in the sender of the room, at the top of the stairs, says. "This is the second meeting of the month over the same thing; how will we kill the Royal Family?"

Everyone begins to break up into their own conversations of the best ways to achieve the goal.

"SILENCE!" The woman yells causing the room to instantly fall silent. "I do not care what your opinions are anymore. Now we have a flawless solution."

The crowd stays quiet trying to anticipate the next thing.

But nobody would have guessed the next thing that she said.

Nobody.

"We're sneaking in tonight!" The crowd cheers. "Agents have been sent. They're making their way into the palace as we speak, the king and queen will be dead soon."

My heart sinks so deep into my stomach, I'm scared it might be closer to my intestines. I feel my hands begin to shake. I look around, trying to find something, what am I trying to find? I feel like I'm watching someone else's life collapse, not living through it.

I'm not the person who's parents are going to be dead soon. It's not me. It can't be me.

This can't be real.

"Adeline," Hayden whispers into my ear, bringing me back to earth.

My eyes meet his and they don't move away. His don't either. We stare at each other, his eyes full of empathy. Mine, sadness. He grabs my face. Takes a breath through his nose, out through his mouth.

"Copy," he says. So I do. Breath in through my nose, out through my mouth. I feel my body loosen just a little.

"Everything's going to be okay, alright? Your parents will be fine. They'll be fine."

Then I burst out into tears because, he doesn't know that. My parents might be dead right now.

He pulls me into a nearby room. Locks the door and looks around.

The rooms empty. Storage room probably. But that's the last thing I'm thinking about.

He walks up to me. Holds me in a tight hug.

"Breathe, Addy. Just breath."

I try.

"Your parents will be fine. They're not dead."

"You don't know that!" I cry.

He doesn't respond, just stares Agnew with an empathetic look.

"Guys?" I head Daniella say through the device. "What's going on?" She asks.

Hayden and I look at eachother. My eyes glossed with tears, his hard with seriousness.

"Adelines parents are in trouble," he says not braking eye contact with me through the whole sentence.

word count: 1025
8-18-23
(Not revised)
GUYS IM SO SORRY FOR NOT POSTING!!!
I have so much schoolwork it's not even funny, I should be working instead of writing but I haven't written anything for you guys in a long time so I took the time to write you something!!

HOPE YOU LIKED IT ❤️