Chapter 8

Jody sat us both down at the bar. Without asking for our ids the bartender handed us both some kind of alcohol. It looked like beer. It smelled like beer.

"Why're you looking at it like it's poison?" Jody askes with a chuckle as he places his empty beer glass on the table. My moth drops at how fast he drank that. Was I staring at my drink for that long or was it just Jody being Jody. "Oh right, you've never drank before," he says interrupting my thoughts.

"Yeah."

He smiles.

"Okay, it's really easy. Put the glass up to your mouth," he instructs. I do and then wait for his next instructions, which he laughs at me for. "Now just chug it." I do. And regrettably so.

The beer feels like fire running down my throat. I am so aware of my organs it scares me. By the time the liquid reaches my stomach, my throat is sore as if with burn scars and my stomach is bloated. I wonder how much I drank and open my eyes not even realizing I closed them.

When I open my eyes the glass is empty and Jody is staring at me with his jaw on the floor.

"Woowww! I'm impressed. You're definitely not a first-timer," he says.

"I am," I protest. He laughs and makes a long "mhm" sound.

"Another?" He asks after a minute. I feel the burning sensation all over again and think.

It wasn't that bad. I liked it, even. It felt different then anything. I've never felt the back of my throat burn as it did when I drank the beer.

I nodded after a minute of thinking and Jody grinned with all his teeth before ordering more alcohol for us.

When the bartender gave us our drinks Jody smiled and handed me my glass.

"Vodka this time," he said.

"That's not what I agreed to-" he rolls his eyes and chugs his drink.

"It's basically the same," he says once it's finished.

Oh no it's not. When the liquid hit the back of my throat I felt it burn a hole. But I liked it.

Without noticing it, the night flew by and Jody and I tried more and more drinks.

"Are you guys crazy!?" Levy scolded us.

"Nope~" Jody slurred. I didn't dare to speak in fear of my words not coming out how I wanted them to. In fear I'll make myself look like a fool, and of embarrassment of my stupidity for trusting Jody.

"Let's go-" Sonya pleads. Jody causes a bit of a struggle but with a little help they get us out of the bar, through the woods, and secretly they snuck back into their dorms.

Sonya helped me walk to our dorm. She walked me to my bed and placed me in it. With a sigh she tucked me in and said goodnight.

I think then she got ready for bed and slept but I don't remember anything past closing my eyes and waking up with the sun in my eyes.

___________

When I woke up, my head was pounding. When I tried to stand, my legs gave up. When I tried to think, my ears rung. So instead of doing anything I stayed in my room and slept. It was a Saturday anyway.

"Adeline are you gonna get up?" Sonya asked me probably a bit past one (pm).

"You haven't eaten all day," she points out.

"Really?" I ask genuinely. "It doesn't feel like I need to." I'm not hungry.

"You do," she insists.

"Let me sleep," I say closing my eyes and turning away from her to silently say, "this conversation is over."

She doesn't get the hint. She turns me over and practically sits on me.

"Get up."

I open my eyes and sigh.

"Fine."

____

Now we are sitting in the library with all of our friends. Jody is sleeping with his head in his arms, snoring, loudly.

Which, of course, does not help my headache and I can't help but want to punch him awake. Anger wins and while everyone else is talking I stand up abruptly and walk around the circular table to Jody.

Everyone stares at me while I do so. I ball my hands into fists and line it up with his stomach. Then I hurl my whole weight into the punch and it connects to his stomach.

He wakes up gasping for air. Everyone at the table laughs and I walk back to my seat.

He stars at me astonished all the way to my chair.

"What was that-" I put my hand up to stop him from talking, which makes everyone laugh.

"You were snoring very loudly."

While the commotion is starting to die down and everyone goes back to their conversations, the intercom goes on.

"Students. Please report to the gym. A new student has arrived." The headmistress said.

"Did they do that for me?" I asked, I never went to the gym.

"No. You're too famous. Everyone knew you were coming and your parents told the headmistress not to make it too obvious You were at the school, that means no big parties." Sonya answered. I sighed. Why do people want to kill me so bad?

"Well, let's go." Levy says standing first. Everyone follows him. The first to get up after his was the chubby red head. She caught up to him and held his hand secretly. Nobody noticed but me. I won't say anything.

We walk to the gym, passing all the classrooms I've made myself familiar with at this point. I wonder if it's a big or a girl. I wonder if they would want to be friends with us. I wonder if Levy will let him join our friend group. I wonder if they are a jerk.

When we get to the gym, Sonya is standing right beside me looking around.

"Bigger then usual. They decorated everything. Usually they decorate only the back wall for the cameras."

"Why are there cameras here?" I ask. "Creepy."

"We're a famous school," she shrugs.

A loud voice goes on the speakers.

"Welcome students!" The headmistress says." As you may know we have a new student. I have high expectations for all of you to make him feel welcome and...." Her words fade away as the boy walks on the small stage in the front of the gym. His hair is golden blond and his eyes, ocean blue. When he looks up, catching me staring, he smirks.

word count: 1089
3-24-23
I've been lazy recently, sorry but it's the weekend so I'll post more now. (This isn't proof read so I'm sorry for any mistakes!