Chapter 26

When I turn around to face the room, Sonya is still not in her bed. The panicked state I was in a few minutes ago returns but I can't leave, I can't look around the dorm.

My feet are frozen to the ground. I try, with all my strength, to lift my foot and walk away from the door but it doesn't happen. I'm glued to the ground. I slide my back against the door and put my head to my knees. My hands begin to shake and I feel trapped.

Trapped inside a body I don't want to be in, for some reason I want to tear my skin apart and be freed, as if that's how it works. I pick at my skin. My knuckles are bleeding and I can't stop myself anymore. I pick and pick at the open flesh with no regard for the pain it gives me.

I feel numb.

My feet stayed glued to the floor and my hands stay shaking uncontrollably, picking at my knuckles and trying to rip of my nails.

I don't sleep.

By the time the sun came up, Sonya hadn't knocked on the door. My skin crawled at the realization, she's been gone six or more hours and I haven't filed a report.

She's probably dead by now— captured in a tiny cold, damp room. She's probably scared out of her mind and wearing rags, one of her biggest fears. I laugh. Her biggest fear is wearing rags, probably a lie but still funny. I catch myself laughing and begun to cry.

I'm laughing about my best friend going missing? What is wrong with me?

I'm panicking.

A knock on my door startled me, but not enough to unshackle my feet from the ground.

The knocking gets louder.

"I know you're in there!" A familiar voice yells through the peephole. A voice I've been craving to hear. Jody.

Jody, the funny one. The one that can make me forget. I need him.

I stand, with some struggle, but I stand and face the door. With a deep breath, I open the door.

"Oh wow— you look like sh*t."

"Thanks, Jody. That's precisely what I needed right now," I say sarcastically meaning every word.

"Have you found Sonya?" he asks.

My heart throbs as I shake my head. I can't hold back the tears anymore. I sob. Right then and there, facing the concrete ground, I sob. It's the first time I've cried this hard in years. I might have been crying earlier that night but it was nothing like this. This was a flood of everything. Anger, sadness, love, fear.

Jody hugs me and I pull him into my dorm. We're still hugging when I put my face in his chest and feel my tears soaking his shirt.

"Shh it's okay, Princess," he says. "It's okay."

His words only make me cry harder.

I shake my head into his chest.

"It's not okay!" I sob. "It's not—" my words are stopped by a loud hiccup. "She's not—"

"Adeline, calm down. Stop talking," Jody orders me.

I listen.

He pulls away from the hug and puts his hands on my shoulders, stares me straight in the eyes. "Match my breathing," he says taking a deep breath. "Deep breath in..." I copy. "Deep breath out." He exhaled the air and I follow suit. "Perfect. Not keep doing that until you feel like you can breath again." I listen.

Once I'm okay again I hug him and squeeze.

"Thank you," I say trying not to cry again.

"Adeline—" he says gasping for air. I let go of the hug.

"Sorry," I laugh. "I'm aggressive when I'm nervous."

"Quirky," he says looking me up and down.

I pause before I hug him again, it feels like we haven't seen each other in forever, even though we saw each other just a few hours ago.

"Jody," I say into the hug.

"Sonya is gonna be okay," he says hugging me back and cradle king my head in his, really big, left hand.

"Thank you," I say with a voice crack.

"It's nothing," he says putting his chin on my head. We stand in that position for a while before we break apart.

"Have you gotten any sleep?" He asks.

I shake my head.

"Okay, sleep now. I'll stay with you until you wake up," he says pulling out a phone.

"Where did you—" I try to ask, cellphones got taken away when we first arrived the boarding school.

"I have my ways. Sleep."

I closed my eyes for the first time in a few hours and fell asleep instantly.

𝐉𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I watch as Adeline falls asleep. Sonya and her got really close, Like really close, like Adeline spends 90% of her time with Sonya. Sure she has the rest of the friend group but if something unimaginable happens to Sonya, it would be like it happened to Adeline too.

Sonya hasn't answered her phone in twelve hours. I'm starting to get worried, there's a killer on the loose and Sonya's missing. She's not the type of person to leave and not tell anyone, especially when dangers around.

She loves her life, she loves living and being around her friends, designing her clothes and forcing us to try them on. She has too much going for her to have willingly left, knowing danger is lurking, without making it known to everyone she knew.

I'm hoping she's oversleeping after a hookup of something, that's the only reasonable answer for her being gone all night long and not answering, right?

I mean, I've hooked up with plenty of girls but I've always told the boys I'd be gone the whole night, and they usually know what that means, that's not the point, though. Sonya wouldn't not tell someone where she was going, she'd probably even add what she's doing.

A few weeks ago, before all the crazy murders started happening, she announced to the whole group she was going to be gone for "ten to twenty minutes because [she] had to pee."

What I mean is, this is really out of character of her.

And out of character, when a murderer is hanging around, is not a good thing.

Word count: 1044
6-26-23 (2:29 am)
I didn't read over this chapter, hopefully it's spelling errors aren't that bad.
I NEED TO SLEEP 😭😭 I want to wake up early tomorrow but I haven't gone to sleep💀
Have a good day guys, vote if you want
BYEEE