Chapter 24

The next day we go to classes like usual. Most of the kids are paranoid about getting murdered while others, who don't particularly care about their life, don't care.

I'm constantly surrounded by mg body guards therefor I am not scared of getting murdered. My guess is that my mother has no clue about the murders, otherwise I would be home right now, or surrounded by ten more bodyguards.

Sonya, on the other hand, is horrified. She's always talking about how much her future holds and how she cannot afford to be murdered. The rest of the friend group is the same, except for a handful of people like Rowan, Levy, Jody, Daniella, and Hayden, they could not care less.

Mattie and Abby stopped hanging out with us after the murder announcement, they only hang out with each other. Maybe they're scared a large crowd of people will attract a murderer but I think the opposite.

____

When the last class of the day finally ended, Sonya and I made our way to meet with the others in our usual room.  When we made it there everyone was huddled around two people playing chess. I squinted my eyes to see who was playing, Daniella and Hayden.

"Heyy guysss," Jody practically yells as he waves at us, the wave fades from a greeting into a summoning.

Sonya and I have each other a knowing look. He was drunk. Have they been drinking? On a Tuesday?

"What's going on?" Sonya asks grabbing a bottle of whiskey and sitting in the couch with a bounce.

"We're playing chess," Daniella answers.

"Clearly," I joke as I sit beside Sonya. "Why are you guys drinking so early in the day, on a Tuesday?" I ask.

"With all the chaos ensuing outside, they don't even realize we're as high as the sun in their classes," Jody laughs.

"Okay, you're done." Levy takes the party cup full of alcohol away from him. Jody pouts and let's out a long "aw" but gets over it quickly when he lays on the floor and starts snoring.

"Who's winning?" Sonya asks taking interest in the chess match, something I did not come to do.

"Hayden, he's destroying her," Mateo says.

"In my defense, he's destroyed everyone," Daniella laughs.

"I guess that's true too," Mateo agrees.

"Can I go next?" I ask, the sudden urge to beat Hayden kicking in.

"I wanted—"

"I'd love that," Hayden says, interrupting Mateo, with a smirk.

I roll my eyes and pretend to gag and he half laughs at it like I'm not being insulting.

When Hayden beat Daniella she groaned and moved aside, I took her place. Sonya pretended to shake pompoms in the air when I sat down on the dark red pillow they had put on the floor for Daniella, or whoever went before her.

"Don't cry when I beat you," Hayden grins.

"Don't cry when you don't," I glare. "Start," I say firmly.

"Ladies first," he says mockingly. I have no choice but to move.

Our chess game begins.

The game lasts a good hour or so, by the time it's over everyone is doing something else, good. None of them saw Hayden win.

"Maybe next time," he smirks.

"Definitely next time." I leave. When I walk over to the round table everyone is at, they're talking about whatever comes to mind. I stand next to Sonya and she asks, "who won?" To which I groan and say, "it was a tie."

"I don't believe that for a second," she smirks. "He won, didn't he?"

"I sure did," Hayden says, intruding on our conversation. Sonya smiles and I don't think my eyes are deserving me when I see her blush. I groan, roll my eyes, and excuse myself from the room.

Nobody comes after me this time so I start the walk all the way to my dorm, alone.

My bodyguards find me somewhere in the hallway on the way out of the school but they can't hide their panicked faces from me fast enough.

"What," I ask in a not so curious way. My bodyguards do not respond. "Speak!" I demand. "What is the matter."

"Your highness, we couldn't find you. We feared you had been kidnapped," the blond haired woman says.

"Kidnapped," I laugh. "Stop worrying about me, the sun has hardly went down, crime doesn't happen during the day," I say tolling my eyes. "Besides, I've ran away from you plenty of times before and been just fine."

"Your majesty it's our job—"

"To keep me safe," I say robotically rolling my eyes again. "I don't care what your job is, you're pretty bad at it if you ask me." And then I'm don't listening to them.

A hint of regret tugs at my heart when the woman does not retaliate, I forgot she wasn't allowed to fight with me. Everyone else fights with me just fine so it didn't process until it was too late and now I'm feeling bad.

I turn around and frown. "I'm sorry, that was rude of me. You're doing a fine  job, I'm just stressed because of the events of the whole beginning of this week, honestly."

"There's no need to apologize, your majesty," the guard says. I turn and continue walking to my dorm with my guards a few steps behind me.

When I make it in the dorm my bodyguards wait outside like they always do but this time, one is in the front and one is in the back.

I  do my nighttime routine and make it into bed. I close my eyes and sigh, going to sleep this early doesn't feel right, on top of that Sonya's not here to say goodnight too.

Soon my thoughts fade into nothing and my mind shuts down.

"Addy?" My brother called after me. "Addy come out come out wherever you are..." I could hear my brother say through the thick wooden door. We were playing hide and seek, he couldn't find me. I was in a room I wasn't supposed to be in, my parents room. I was looking around, for nothing in particular, but the room was a mystery to me and I wanted to know more about it. In that room were two separate sides. My moms side and my dads side. My moms side was messy and unorganized and my dads side was clean and very well organized. They had two separate kinds of clothes, a few matching sets for parties but that was it. My moms nightstand had books and perfumes in it while my dads had magazines of girls in bikinis.

My parents lived two separate lives in the same life.

Word count: 1114
6-16-23
I'm back on my posting grindddd
Have a great day, thanks for reading❤️