Chapter 35

My head is pounding harder than it has all morning as I walk to the medical center. I don't know what I'm going to say to all my friends, the people who forced me out of the building when my best friend started dying.

Hayden is walking next to me but he doesn't talk. He's never been much of a talker when the others were around but it wasn't like he never talked. Maybe he can tell my head hurts.

I look down at the ground and that's when I notice, I'm still wearing Hayden's clothes. I was in such a rush to leave I didn't bother to change, Hayden was already ready and he just followed me out the door. He saw me wearing his clothes, leaving the dorm, and he said nothing.

My cheeks flush red. This is the last thing I need. How am I supposed to explain to my friends why I'm wearing his clothes without making it sound awkward?

Nothing even happened.

"Hayden," I look up, in front of me and don't make eye contact with him as I talk. "Why didn't you tell me I was wearing your clothes when we left?" The question is coated with annoyance but I hear Hayden laugh.

I look over at him as he starts talking. "I didn't know you wanted me to," he says with a smile.

"How am I supposed to explain this? They're gonna think—"

"That we had sex?" He asks.

"Yes."

"We didn't."

"They don't know that." I run both my hands down my face.

"Just tell them you got drunk," he shrugs. "Then you don't have to explain anything."

"Hayden! That will make it ten times worse!" I'm frustrated.

"Then let them think what they want," he looks at me. "The important part is that we, me and you, didn't have sex."

"And never will for that matter," I add. "I guess your right. Whatever."

He opens the door to the medic and I walk in.

Jody and the others are sitting in plastic chairs that run along the walls of the makeshift hospital. There are fbi officers and police everywhere.

I walk over to Jody, immediately forgetting everything that happened yesterday and the fact that I'm wearing Hayden's clothes. He lifts an eyebrow at me as I get closer. I don't respond.

"How long have they been here?" I ask in a whisper, tilting my head in the direction of all the officers.

"You didn't hear?" He asks. "You really need to get more social—"

"Jody."

His smile drops a little and he puts his hands up in mock surrender. When he drops them, he continues. "A dorm was burnt to the ground yesterday. The person who lived in it had his lips melted together. They can't cut his mouth open because of the way it was melted shut, from the inside out. They think whoever tortured Sonya did this to him." He turns and looks at the police. "That's why they're here."

"That's..." I don't know what to say. "Horrible," I manage. "Do you know who it was?" I ask.

"A dude named Markus," Rowan says walking over to us. "Black hair, tall, kind of a drug dealer."

Sounds familiar.

"It's not really sad though. He used those lips to rape girls and he got away with it too so I'm glad he got his lips melted."

Even more familiar.

"Maybe I'm glad, then," I say.

I'm almost certain they are talking about the dude I was trying to get alcohol from.

"He got what he deserved," Hayden says from his position, leaning against a wall.

Before the conversation dwindles to nothing, Jody yells over my shoulder to Hayden. "Yo Hayden! Why is she wearing your clothes?" He asks with a smirk on his face.

"She got drunk last night and poured orange juice all over her own."

Jody's smirk disappears. His face is now confusion as he turns his head to face me. My face flushes with embarrassment.

"Why'd you do tha—"

"Because I was upset," I say before he can even finish his sentence. He goes quiet. He knows exactly why I was upset.

"You drink when your upset?" Rowan chimes in.

"Yes."

"That can cause you to get addicted, you know?" Rowan asks, his head tilted a little.

"Yes, I know. Now what's up with Sonya?" I ask changing the subject. "Is she okay?"

"Not exactly. They say she should survive but she's not okay. She's constantly screaming." A scream comes from the room Sonya's in. "They say she's reliving everything, 'she should be back to normal soon'" he rolls his eyes.

This is breaking my heart. My best friend is in so much pain.

"Can we go in?" I ask.

"No. They're trying to ask her questions."

"What."

"Yeah, it's horrible. They ask her 'what's going on? What are they doing?' Every time she screams or moans in pain."

"That's horrible," I say with anger beginning to pile up. "That has to be illegal—"

Jody shrugs, an exhausted shrug. "I've been here all night. I've tried to get in to stop them but I can't. It's helpless, we just have to listen to it until they give up."

I'm not going to do that.

"Adeline—"

Before Jody can even finish his sentence I'm pushing through him to the door. It's locked. It's like Sonya's in an asylum.

"ROWAN!" I scream. Rowan jogs over. When he gets to me he stands still waiting for me to continue. "Break it open," I say, knowing he's trained in basically every martial art and he's definitely the strongest out of us all.

"Um.. that cat be legal."

"I'm telling you to do it so it is," I say. "Im literally the future queen, I can make this legal in a snap of my finger. Break the door."

And so he does. He backs up a little and uses his shoulder to break the door straight off the hinges.

When the door falls to the floor, dust comes rushing out from under it.

Sonya is laying in a medical bed screaming.

She's in restraints.

Word count: 1022
7-11-23
I'm bored so here's a chapter ❤️
(Didn't revise it)