Chapter 49

"Their plan is to kill the royal family so their goods can be sold and shipped without problems," Hayden says.

We've been explaining everything we learned to the others for at least an hour now. And instead of being in the hangout room we're always in, we're in my dorm. Everyone is gathered in the living room, sitting on the couch or the floor listening as intensely as they can. It's almost intimidating.

"I think they killed Sonya to give me a message, the day I went over to her dorm I got a note from under her bed. It said, 'your next, Adeline.'"

"Why didn't you tell us!?" Sam asks with a gasp.

"It slipped my mind when Jody told me we were going to figure out who did this to Sonya."

"I'm so sorry that happened to you, Adeline," Sam says with a sniffle.

"It's whatever. We need to get back on track," I say and point to Hayden. "Continue."

"They have another ball tonight, I don't know if Adeline and I can go again after all the commotion we caused last time."

"Of course you can. Nobody else can. You have to," Levy says.

"But—" I try.

"No," Levy says sternly. "You and Hayden know how to do this."

Jody nods. "Oddly enough, you guys are pros."

"I literally got into a physical fight—"

"I agree, you two should go together. In the last meeting everyone was masked, they won't know it's you."

"But they—"

"It's settled then," Rowan says with a smile.

I grunt and fold my arms, plopping myself onto the red couch and pouting angrily.

Hayden's already sitting on the couch, he scoots in closer and whispers, "you don't want to go on another mission with me? Was it that bad?" And then he pulls away with a smirk.

I glare at him.

He smiles at me before looking away and acting interested in the conversation around us. But I know he wasn't, because he kept looking back at me.

_______

"You look stunning," Daniella squeals, jumping up and down. "Sonya really knew what she was doing. Did you model this dress? Did she make it to fit you just right?"

I smile and laugh at Daniellas hammering. She's so amazed by the dress Sonya made. I don't blame her, it's a gorgeous silk blue skin tight dress with no straps. And it comes with matching heals and silver jewelry. I'm amazed with it myself.

"Yeah, I did model the dress actually," I say with a small smile as I remember Sonya yelling at me to hold still while she pinned the dress together on my body.

"It's gorgeous," I say to Sonya. A smile plastered onto my face as I stare down at the half finished dress I'm wearing. "I am a mastermind," Sonya responds putting emphasis on the word "am". "But it's not even finished. Hold the compliments until it's done." I roll my eyes. "Yeah, yeah."

I never got to compliment it in time. She doesn't know how beautiful I think it is. It was the project she had recently been working on, she just finished it a few days ago.

To think so much has happened in a week makes my mind run circles around my head. My best friend dies, i get a note threatening to kill me, get into a fight at a meeting arranged by mafias and gangs, find out my brother might've been gay, discover my roommate self harms, and now I'm going on a second mission.

"Do a spin," Sam says with her hands on her cheeks.

I spin, the dress doesn't twirl very well but it's glimmers in the moving light.

"The color really suits you," Daniella says, looking into my eyes, Sonya had said those exact words. It was the reason she chose this material. "Makes your eyes pop, you look majestic."

Sam nods.

I smile. "You guys are too nice! We have things to do let's not get caught up in my beauty," I say jokingly.

We all burst out into laughter.

"O-okay," Daniella says through a laugh. "We need to get back to the room before they start getting worried," she says composing herself. We all nod and make our way out of Sonya's secret dress-storing warehouse.

While we're walking on the sidewalk, hidden by the cover of night, we spot the headmistress walking a few feet ahead of us, her black heals clacking on the cement and her half calf length tight green dress making her walk in a certain way that makes the heals noise so much louder.

We duck into some bushes and wait for her to get out of view to continue.

"She looked rather fancy," I say teasingly, hopping the girls caught on to what I was insinuating.

"You think she's going in a date?" Sam asks quietly with a small smile.

"Whatever she is doing it's none of our business. We have things to do, let's go," Daniella orders. We get out of the bushes and silently walk back to the hangout room once the headmistress is gone.

"Took you guys king enough," Levy says looking at the watch in his wrist and tapping his foot against the wooden floor.

"Sorry, we got caught up trying to hide from the headmistress, didn't want her to see my fancy attire and figure out I'm planning on ditching, or just see us outside when the schools on lockdown," I say.

"She looked pretty fancy herself too though," Sam says quietly.

"Yeah we just assumed she was going on a secret date. We didn't really have time for speculation," Daniella says quickly. "Let's get this party started."

And with that, everyone begins peeping Hayden and I to go out on a second mission. Daniella and Sam work on my makeup while, Rowan, Levy, Jody, and Mateo help Hayden, why he needs so much help, I don't know.

Once we're both ready, Daniella hands both of us listening devices. This time they aren't very visible, they go in our clothes.

"Don't turn them on until you get there, I don't know how much battery they have left," Daniella orders as she sticks the small devises in small pockets of our clothes.

"Will do," I say with a smile. Hayden looks way to intense. 

We get rushed out the door. We hurry to the spot we're going to be picked up at and sit in the grass waiting.

"Since we're going on mission number two, will I be able to ride that sexy motorcycle of yours again?" I ask teasingly.

"Yeah you will," he says with a smirk. Then he says something else but I don't hear it and when I ask him to repeat himself, he blushes and shakes his head with a huge grin.

Word count: 1137
8-8-23
(Not revised)
Sorry for not posting in so long guys 😭
I'll do better I promise 🫡
Have a great day/night ❤️