Chapter 37

Before I get the chance to respond, a doctor comes out of the room. That's when I realize the room has suspiciously grown silent in the past few minutes. All of the people who are sitting stand up, eager for his news, exempt me. I'm handcuffed to a chair still.

"Is everything okay?" Daniella asks.

The doctor shakes his head sadly. "We did everything we could." He takes his glasses off and looks me in the eyes. "I promise we did everything we could."

I break out into tears again. Most of my other friends do too but Jody looks numb. Hun and Sonya had an amazing relationship. When I wasn't hanging out with Sonya, he was.

"She stopped screaming, we forced the officers away from her and tried cpr, tried giving her more blood, less blood, we undraped her, gave her more oxygen. Nothing worked. I'm sorry."

The tears streaming down my face begin to slow. I'm starting to feel numb, like I'm just watching someone live this reality, like I'm not the one this is happening to. "Please, let me go," I plead.

An officer walks up to my chair and unlocks the handcuffs. I sit in the chair for a second, rubbing my wrist.

How can this be happening. How can she survive just to die a few days later? How is that fair?

It's not.

I get out of my chair and walk down the hall. Nobody notices me leave, they're to busy beginning to mourn Sonya.

I make it to the push door and push it open. The sun is bright, the sky is as blue as it can be and there's no clouds in sight. I wish it would rain.

I run to my old dorm. I need to see everything I once had. What's happening to it?

When I get there, it's surrounded by caution tape. Officers are everywhere, white tents are everywhere.

I need to find a way in.

I'm looking around for a place to sneak in when I get grabbed by the shoulder.

"Crown Princess? What are you doing here?" Agent Amos asks.

"I wanted to see your progress," I say trying to wipe the tears from my cheeks without him noticing.

"Why are you crying?" He asks.

"No reason. What do you have so far?" I ask.

"Not much." He says completely forgetting about my crying. "She was definitely tortured but not in the dorm she was left in, none of the other girls were put back in their dorms. We think maybe the killer wanted her to survive but we don't know why."

"Oh," I say. "That's good, Keep working on it." And with that I get away from him as fast as I can.

I sneak around the back of the dorm, where the window is. There's only a few officers back here so I act like I'm allowed to be here so they don't question me.

I look around to try to seem like I know what I'm doing.

"Hey, you!" I yell to one of the officers. He turns around and points a finger at himself. "Yeah, you." He comes over to me.

"Yes, ma'am?" He asks.

"Can you help me to get in that window?" I ask.

Without question, for some reason, he lifts me up. I open the window and fall in. "Thank you!" I yell once I gather myself.

I get two bags from the drawer and tie them over my shoes. Then I get off the table and walk around.

The room hasn't been cleaned. It smells disgusting, there's blood everywhere, Sonya's bed is neatly made and so is mine. Blood scatters the floor, there's drops everywhere. Claw marks are all over the floor and the desk nearest to the door.

I look under the bed and see a tiny paper, folded up into the metal bars under the bed. I carefully get it, how did the police miss this?

When I get up off the floor I unfold the paper and read it.

Your next, Adeline.

I stare at the paper in shock. This was an attack on me? They killed Sonya because of me? To get to me?

I get ready for tears but none come. I can't feel anything, I don't know what to feel.

I stuff the note into the pocket of Hayden's sweatpants and climb out the window. When I fall onto the ground on the other side, all the cops are staring at me.

"What?" I ask.

"Are you related to the girl we let in yesterday in any way?" One of them asks.

"What? No. Who did you let in yesterday?" I ask in return.

"We don't mean blood related, just like you know each other?" Another one asks.

"No! I don't know what your talking about, why?"

"We let in another girl yesterday. She said she's be back today and to let her in. We thought you were her but your not. We thought maybe she sent you instead?"

If I say no, that will raise alarm.

"Ohhh, yes! She sent me." I lie. "Don't let anyone else in, okay?"

They nod and I walk away. I put my hands in my pocket and fiddle with the note.

"Your next, Adeline."

My blood runs cold as I think about it.

I'm basically in an entirely different world when I bump into someone.

"Jody," I say as I realize it's him.

"We need to talk," he says.

I agree silently and he brings me to the closest dorm. We hide behind it.

"The group has all agreed on this, so if you disagree, you might not be a part of it anymore," he says. I nod, anxious for hun to continue. "We decided the police aren't doing enough, we thought that a few weeks ago but brushed it off but now, now it's serious. They are doing absolutely nothing. They are all stupid."

"Okay?"

He pauses for a moment. Takes a deep breath before he speaks.

"We decided to try to find the murderer."

Word count: 1003
7-12-23
12:58
And the plot thickens...