Chapter 80

It's been a full day since the fire and the others are starting to get better.

"They're lucky," Grayson says. "A big explosion like that in such a small room could have easily killed you all."

Hayden glares at him.

"I'm only saying what is plain and obvious," Grayson responds putting his hands up in mock-surrender. "You guys hungry?" He asks the crowd of people on the, broken, sofa that is clearly struggling to carry all of their weight which is apparent from its creaking and groaning each time they shift.

Daniella nods and the others follow her lead. She tries to stand up but she's been laying down for so long that she loses her balance. I rush to her side and help her walk a little before she regains her balance, thanks me, and walks on her own.

Grayson starts on breakfast. As he's working on that, Daniella sits on an old, creaky, wooden chair at the table with Hayden and me.

"What have you guys been up to while we were all knocked out?" She asks raising her eyebrows and smirking childishly.

I roll my eyes but can't help the burning feeling on my cheeks. Hayden doesn't look up from his mug of coffee.

Daniella and I laugh it off but I feel a pit forming on my stomach. She changes the subject and we get deep into a conversation about my house when there's a loud crash and then complete silence.

Grayson stomps down the narrow hallway and gasps when he sees what happened. Daniella and I look at each other at the same time before jumping up to see what's going on.

Down the hallway, in the bathroom, Mateo and Jody have broken the toilet. It's spewing water everywhere and there's shards of ceramic from the toilet bowl disburse around the room. It even starts smoking at some point.

"My toilet," Grayson says sadly as if he's had many memories with it. "I really needed to sh*t too."

"Nobody needed to know that, Gray," Hayden yells from the kitchen.

Mateo and Jody are both standing in the corner of the bathroom with their hands in the air.

"Put your hands down," I order, taking control of the situation. "Get out," I wave them out of the bathroom. Their clothes are covered in toilet water so I jump back when they almost brush me. "There's nothing I can do about the toilet," I say to Grayson. "I'm really sorry, I'll deal with them."

Grayson smiles. "You get 'em," he says with a chuckle.

I make my way down the hallway to where Jody and Mateo are standing.

"We don't have a change of clothes for you," I say annoyed already. "What where you thinking? Have you never been taught manners? When you go to someone's house, you are a guest. You treat their residence with respect, as if it was your own."

"Adeline—"

"I'm not done," I glare at Jody, who thought it would be a good idea to interrupt me, and he goes quiet, his lips forming a line as he backs up beside Mateo.

"How did you break the toilet?" I ask.

Jody's eyes brighten and instantly I know what he thinks and I have to shut it down before he responds.

"I'm not impressed, buck-o," I groan. "I'm just bewildered with the fact you managed to explode a toilet."

"Well—"

"Don't you have like PTSD, or something? Did you not just almost get blown up like a day ago?" I ask, interrupting Jody's answer.

"You were too."

We all go quiet at Mateos words. I didn't expect that. Neither did Jody.

"Well, I wasn't hurt as bad as any of you, plus, you were closer to the explosion than I was so why wouldn't you have PTSD," I laugh.

Sam groans on the squeaky couch. Levy jumps up from beside her and runs down the hallway for Grayson, who is actively staring at an exploded toilet, bewildered.

When Levy tells him Sam's waking up, Grayson gives Rowan a plunger and sends him in the bathroom before quickly following Levy back down the hallway to Sam.

Sam has worse injuries than anyone here. She was the closest to the gun when it exploded. Grayson bandaged your her broken wrist but he doesn't have any proper cast material so she has to work with a brace and some tight dressing. She has cuts all over her body and a deep gash across the right side of her face that goes from her eyebrow to just below her eye, we don't know if she's blind in that eye yet.

Her cut is both identical and completely opposite of Rowan's eyebrow scar. Maybe since Rowan has practically the same scar we can make her feel better by using him. She's never pointed out any kind of hate for his scar but at the same time I guess she hasn't ever said how much she liked it either but that could also be because she has a boyfriend, I'm rambling.

I shake my head and ignore Jody's next words. I walk away from Jody and Mateo. They get my point.

"Can someone get me a wet cloth?" Grayson asks. Levy jumps up and gets him what he needs. Everyone gathers around to watch what he does, to see if Sam's okay.

I excuse myself out of the room. I walk down the hallway and into what I imagine is Graysons bedroom. There's pictures everywhere, on the walls, leaning against the bed, loose on the floor.

One picture frame really catches my eye. When I get closer I realize Hayden's father is in it, standing in between Grayson and...

My father.

My heart sinks into my stomach. My father, with these two men. What could he be doing? What if it's not related to mafia things? What is he didn't know?

I feel panic rising in my throat as the questions get louder and louder. I feel my chest rising and falling too fast. I can hear my heartbeat. My hands start to shake.

"Adeline?"

The world is silenced.

Hayden's here.

Word count: 1025
1:00 pm
12-8-23
(Not revised)
Sorry for not posting on so long guys 😪😪
I just love that Adeline can calm down with just Hayden's voice, it makes me so happy to write