Chapter 54

I'm thrown on the hard cement floor. I feel as the air in my body leaves me. The monster has miffed back into a human, has it been human this whole time?

"I thought we could do this the easy way but I'm obviously wrong," it says in the distorted robot like voice.

When it turns to walk away, I see a strand of long black hair unhidden like the rest of her hair.

She's a girl, a woman.

"Why?" is all I can get out. I grab my side as I say it, the air is slowly making its way back into my body.

The woman laughs in her distorted robot like voice. She clicks a button in her skintight black shirt and a quiet "power down" is heard.

The next time she speaks, all I can think of is the clarity of her speech.

"Because, my boss was going to kill you. I can't have that."

"You don't want me dead?" I ask.

"Oh, believe me, I want to burn you alive." I feel my blood go still. The hairs on the back of my neck rise. Somethings not right. Everything about this is wrong. She smiles when she realizes my fear.

"My boss, Renea, wanted you dead so she could import drugs. If she gets to import her drugs, my mafia will fall to pieces. Now, I would just steal their product but it's too much for my crew and I to deal with. I'll kill you once I'm ready to steal all their goods because, believe me, your no help to me alive either. In fact your quite the opposite."

She sighs, turns away from me.

"Listen, Adeline. You only have a few minutes of numbing medicine left, your about to be in a lot of pain from
bosses—Reneas torture. I can't give you anymore because if you have too many drugs in your system you won't remember anything I'm going to do, we don't want that, do we?" Then she turns to me, smiles, turns away and leaves.

I can't move as the thick metal door opens and creaks shut, scraping against the cement floor.

I begin to cry. I'm scared. Terrified.

I've never been this scared in my life before. I've been raised in a position of so much power that people fear me, wouldn't dare hurt me, scare me.

I close my eyes and feel the tears streak down my face. I hold on sobs, drying out my throat.

Once I can finally move again, I curl up into a ball and put my hands on my ears, face in my knees, back against the wall.

That's when it starts.

Pain I've never felt before.

I uncurl and lift my shirt, the pain is mostly coming from my stomach.

I take my shift fully off and stare at my stomach.

Stab scars.

Bloody stab scars.

They are poorly stitched up, most of the stitches are broken and causing more excruciating pain.

I cry at the sight of it. Then my legs begin to hurt. I pull my pants off and stare at my thighs.

Bugs.

Bugs in my skin.

I'm watching them crawl under it.

Up to my stomach, making their way to my heart.

To eat it out.

To kill me.

I punch them and try to pinch them enough to squash them.

It doesn't work.

I cry in desperation, a cry for the body I no longer have control over.

I'm going to die.

I'm going to die.

And then, they're gone.

No more bugs.

Bruises.

What looks like hundreds of them, all over my legs, arms, waist, everywhere.

Self inflicted bruises.

The bugs weren't real.

How much substance is in my system? To make me think bugs are crawling in my skin? I cry again, tossing my head up and staring at the ceiling. I am completely at a loss of control.

I'm used to being in a position of power, this feeling of helplessness, I hate it. And there's nothing I can do but cry about it.

The pain I feel only gets worse as the time goes by. The bruises get darker, softer. The blood pours. So much of it, running down my stomach reaching my thighs like water.

And I'm so cold, shivering. My teeth chattering. I grab my clothes with weak hands, hardly getting my fingers around the fabric, but when I try to pull the shirt over my head, the pain in my shoulder stops me, it almost makes me scream.

Instead of wearing the clothes, I drape them over myself and use it like a blanket.

Tears stream down my face as I stare at the ceiling, helpless.

I try to think of ways to escape but come up empty. It's all cement, the one door in here is metal and extremely thick metal at that.

At some point I resort to screaming.

"HELP!!" I yell, to no avail. I hear my own voice echo but nothing else. Sometimes I scream just to scream, just to get it all out. It makes me feel better sometimes but it doesn't change anything.

I scream again.

Feel my vocal cords vibrate.

Close my eyes tight.

Scream again.

The metal door scrapes over the cement, slowly opening.

"You can't keep doing that," the woman says. She's still wearing a mask.

I don't respond.

"It's not going to get you anywhere, save your energy," she says placing a small tray of food on the floor a few feet away from me. She closes the metal door when she notices I'm eyeing the exit. "Mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, chicken." She pushes it closer to me. It's at my feet now.

I glare at her as she looks up from the plate.

"Even some water," she says pointing to a tiny shot like plastic cup full halfway up with water.

"What's the point in even giving me water?" I want to say but can't. Throats too dry, vocal cords strained. Lips cracked.

"How long have I been in here?" I want to ask but don't, can't.

"So now your not going to talk to me?" She asks. "It's not my fault you cause so many problems for the mafias of France."

I glare harder.

"Be that way then. You'll find your senses eventually."

She gets up from her crouching position, turns, leaves.

The thick metal door scrapes against the cement before it shuts.

Word count: 1070
9-3-23
6:22 pm
(Not revised)
Ahh guysss I'm getting back on my grindddd 😝
Have a good day/night 🫶🏻