Chapter 88

After telling my mother everything, she went to her room to process. I decided it's best to give her space so I didn't follow her and let her have as long as she needed.

Now I'm on my way to hire a new headmaster for the school, someone I trust with my life. My teacher. He taught me everything. I already knew everything I needed to know when I was sent to the boarding school, the school was just for protection not education. It didn't protect me very well though, clearly. But now with him as the new headmaster, it can be a safe space for anyone.

I knock on his door and enter when he lets out a muffled "come in" through the thick wooden oak door.

"Oh, Adeline! It's been so long, everyone was so worried about you." He stands up from his desk and makes his way over to me for a hug. "I'm glad your here and okay," he says.

"So am I," I say with a smile. "But I have to ask you something very important."

"Okay," he says, making his way back to his desk. "Please, sit. Get comfortable."

I do. "So, the reason I went missing..." I tell him the full story and he's in shock by the time I'm done.

"So, what does this have to do with me?" He asks, intrigued.

"I want you to be the new headmaster. We can deal with the old one. Will you do it?"

His smile grows so big. "Well,  I guess my job here is done.."

"And your an amazing teacher and adviser," I say. He smiles at that.

"Okay," he says. "I'll be the headmaster. I've always wanted to be in a position like that."

"And now you get it," I say. "Congratulations."

______

"Hayden," I say as I walk into the library he's in.

"Yes, Princess?" He looks up from his book and shuts it with one hand.

"I need you to do me a favor," I say.

"Anything."

"I need the headmistress dealt with. It's not safe for our friends to go back with her there." I say. "And I really hate to ask you this, but I don't know anyone else who can do what I'm asking you to do. They can fire her or break a few bones but that's not enough for me."

Hayden stays quiet for a little while longer.

"She put us all through too much to be able to live," I say. "I want her to feel what she did to me, I want her to feel completely helpless and alone. I want her to suffer. I want her to die a slow, painful death."

"And I want what you want," he responds, getting up.

"The cars outside waiting for you," I say. "Thank you, Hayden. I'll never be able to repay you for everything you've done for me." I give him a kiss and he smiles.

"You don't have to repay me. I want this too. I want her to suffer how she made you—us all— suffer."

I smile a second thank you and kiss him again. I watch as he makes his way to the car.

Once he's gone, I make my way to the funeral directors temporary office. Sonya never got a proper funeral. Her body's still at a morgue because nobody has claimed it. But I am. I'm claiming it and I'm giving her a proper burial. And I'm making her a clothing brand with all the clothes she made and couldn't do anything with. Her name will not die with her. Sonya's will be the name of her store.

"Hello?" I say as I knock on the door.

The funeral director tells me to come in and I do. He's a bald man with a white beard and black glasses. He's wearing all black. He's planning both my fathers and Sonya's funerals which is probably a lot.

"Crown Princess," he says as he stands up from his seat and bows.

"That's not necessary," I say straightening him out. "Just talk to me like any normal person, I won't have you executed, don't worry," I laugh.

He smiles politely but doesn't find the joke very funny. I did.

"What is it you need?" He asks.

"I just wanted to see how everything was going," I say. "I want Sonya's funeral to be perfect. It's the least I can do for her."

"And that it will be. Would you like to see her casket?" He asks. I nod and follow him through his office to two wooden caskets. He walks over to the one on the left and knocks on it. "Mahogany," he says. "The best wood around.

The casket was very dark and looked like it weighed a thousand pounds. Perfect. It fit Sonya perfectly. It's exactly what she would have wanted.

"Can I see the dress she'll be wearing again?" I ask. The funeral director smiles and wobbles over to a bag that's hung up on a pole.

He unzips it and pulls out the white dress Sonya loved so much. It almost brings tears to my eyes. She talked about it so much. I walk over and touch the fabric. It smells so strongly of her.

"It's going to look gorgeous on her," I say.

"Yes. It's a beautiful dress," the funeral director smiles.

"Did you know she made it?" I ask.

"No," he says. "She was quite talented."

"I'm opening a brand for her. With all of the dresses and clothes she made but didn't do anything with, she has a lot of them."

"Oh, my daughters would probably love her dresses," he says.

"I'll give you all the information once's it's ready," I say with a smile.

"I'd appreciate that," he says. Then he puts the dress away. "Well, I better get back to work," he says.

"Yes, I won't hold you up anymore. Thank you for everything your doing," I say as I leave the room.

"No worries," he calls after me once I close the door. Once the doors closed I lean against it and take a deep breath.

Sonya's getting the perfect funeral she should never have had to have.

Word count: 1036
12-26-33
4:49 pm
(Not revised)
Adeline asking Hayden to kill someone... she never would have done that in the beginning of the book. 🫣🫣🫣