Chapter 51

"What?" The chip says.

"Can't talk now, bye," Hayden says, crushing his chip and mine before I can stop him.

That's when I break down. I know they aren't listening anymore, it's only him. It's only him here, watching me, listening.

I begin to shake and I can't control myself when the tears fall. Hayden guides me to the floor of the empty room.

"It's okay.. it's okay," he's saying but theres something muffling his voice, is that me?

The world begins to blur. My head spins. My parents aren't in trouble, they're dead.

It's all I can think about. My parents, my brother, they're all dead.

And now someone's saying my name, over and over. It's in a calm voice, he doesn't slur my name, it's crisp. So crisp.

"Adeline."

Hayden.

The world begins to fall back into place, all because of him. I get my vision back, the world no longer spins.

I can hear him, every word.

"Adeline,"

Adeline.

Adeline.

I breath it in. My name. Why has it never sounded so good.

"Calm down," he says.

But I am calm. So calm.

He grabs my hand.

Both my hands.

"They're going to be okay, understand?"

Our eyes lock for the first time and I see the determination in his face.

I nod. Pushing down my thoughts, all the negative ones that are screaming at me that my parents are dead and there's nothing Hayden can do to stop it. I push them all down and lock them into the depths of my brain.

"Let's go," he says pulling me up.

"Where are we going?" I ask as I'm pulled up.

"We're going to help your parents."

He leads me to the door but before he can open it himself, it opens. Behind the now opening door emerges a tall man wearing all black, his face covered with sunglasses.

"Your not going anywhere," he says sternly. He begins to walk towards us, Hayden and I back up. Neither of us know what to do, fight, run, hide? We're trying to figure it out as we go.

When the man starts getting too close and we have nowhere to back up to, Hayden makes a run for it, pulling me along with him.

The man tries to grab me by the hair but I'm fast enough to move out of his reach. I turn and run with Hayden as fast as I can, ignoring the big tall man running after us.

"Are you okay?" Hayden asks. He doesn't sound out of breath at all.

"Y-yeah," I struggle to get out, gasping for air.

"We'll be safe soon, okay? Hold on a little longer." I nod.

We run for what feels like forever, I feel a cramp forming in my side, my eyes are tearing up again from the sadness I'm feeling about my parents.  I can feel my body giving in, shaking.

Hayden pulls me around a corner and into a small room, we listen as the man chasing us runs by, along with multiple other sets of feet.

Once their gone I burst out into tears. We're in a janitors closet, surrounded by stinky mops and dirty water. I feel my hands shake as I fall into Hayden's arms, unable to keep myself up anymore.

"Shh.."

I can't make eye contact with Hayden from the position I'm in, facing his chest. I can't move.

I can't move.

My life has been crazy ness ever since Sonya died, before that, ever since I came here. If I never went to the stupid boarding school, I would have never met Sonya, she would have never died because of me. Nobody would be dead.

If only I put up more of a fight.

Suddenly, the tears coming out of my eyes aren't just for my family but for myself, Sonya, everything.

I can't control it anymore. My tears flow like waterfalls. Hayden's shirt is soaking wet. And suddenly I don't care that I have to be quiet in case someone walks past. I scream. Wail.

I let it out. I hit my fists against Hayden, the frustration of everything built up so much I can't control it anymore. Hayden slides downy to the floor, bringing me with him. I can't stop.

Can't stop screaming.

Can't stop crying.

And I can't stop throwing myself at him, hurling punch after punch.

I don't even feel bad.

Not even a little.

Not until the rage has passed me and I see the damage, a bruise on his face, a bit of blood coming out of his nose, his shirt soaking wet with drips of blood on it.

Not his blood, mine.

My knuckles, they're bleeding as if I'd been punching a brick wall.

"Calm down, Adeline," he says calmly, hugging me once I burst into tears realizing what I've just done, feeling the pain I just inflicted on myself.

"I'm sorry," I cry into him. "I'm so sorry. Sorry sorry sorry," the word sounds so good on my tongue. I keep saying it, repeating it until everything fades into black.

______________

When my eyes open again, my hands are bandaged with rags. Hayden's cleaned up and holding me.

"Are you feeling better?" He asks.

I shake my head. I don't feel the need to lie. I'm still angry and sad and confused and frustrated, and I don't know anymore. I don't know what emotions are anymore.

"We have to get going now, you were out for like ten minutes."

I nod, getting up, Hayden does with me.

I get used to standing and nod for Hayden to open the door, but when he does, a woman is standing right in front of us.

Her dress is green, skin tight.

Her face is old and wrinkly, but covered with a thick layer of makeup.

She has brown hair, no. She has a brown haired wig on. It's not natural, the brown.

I take one more look at her face.

"Headmistress Renea," I say with a gasp.

"It's so nice to see you here," she smiles.

Word count: 1011
8-21-23
(Not revised)
Guyssss what is headmistress Renea doing here!?