Chapter 32

Doctors are rushing in, pushing us all out of the way, rushing us out of the room. I'm screaming and pleading for them to let me stay but they don't listen.

We are shoved into the hallway and the door is slammed in our faces.

I can hear the commotion coming from inside the room. The heart monitor beeping out of control, the doctors ordering the nurses to help, Sonya, jolting up and down in her bed, through the glass window I see foam coming out of her mouth. Her eyes are in the back of her head and her hair is flying all over the place.

I'm sobbing into the window, banging on it. Screaming.

In one quick movement I'm pulled away from the window by my shoulders and slammed against a wall. My vision is blurry from the tears but I know these hands, Jody.

"You need to calm down. They can't do their job with you screaming through the window," he says calmly.

Rage runs laps in my veins. "None of you are upset? None of you even care!" I try to shake myself free from Jody's grip but he doesn't budge. What the h*ll.

"We all care!" Sam cries out. "You forget we've known her years longer than you have! You're acting like your the only person she's close with!" Her comment is so out of character I am taken back and can't respond.

"Adeline," Levy says, hiding Sam behind him and staring at me with an expression I've never been stared at with before. As if I had said something extremely harmful to Sam, and he wasn't having any of it. "I think you should take a walk." It's not a suggestion. It's an order.

"Who do you—" before I can finish my sentence, Jody let's me go. I fall forward a little from straining to get out of his grip but catch myself before I fall.

"Go," Jody says, rubbing the bridge of his nose and pointing down the hallway. "We'll call you if anything changes with Sonya. Please, go."

The fact that he's begging me to leave makes more tears flow. I've spent almost as much time with Jody as I have with Sonya. It's betrayal.

With a huff and maybe, slightly, a stomp of my foot, I turn to leave. While I'm turning, I see everyone staring, watching, and doing nothing. They all agree that I should leave.

I feel my face fall even more than it has. The edges of my lips sink down into a frown and my eyelids weigh a million pounds. I feel the skin on my face sag, my cheekbones becoming more visible, like an old lady.

When I stomp off, I hear Levy, Jody and Noah talking to each other in stressed voices, wondering what to do next, how to continue.

I ignore them. If they don't want me to be around, I won't. I reach the end of the hallway and push open the door. It's raining outside. The sky is Grey with clouds and it's absolutely pouring down. It's so loud I can't hear my own thoughts. Perfect.

I dash out the door with my arms spread wide, and inhale. The smell of wet grass, wet pavement, and fresh air mix together. I can't help but forget everything, for just a little while.

I dance and run and splash in puddles until I feel somewhat better. When I'm too tired to continue, I lay on the wet grass and stare up at the sky. The grey clouds are not the most appealing, but the feeling of the rain dotting onto my stretched out arms, is too relaxing to care about that.

When I do finally get up, I don't go back to the hospital. No, I go to the nearest dorm.

I knock.

A few seconds pass.

When the door finally does swing open, the person behind it is a black haired, tall boy with red rimmed eyes. He's exactly who I'm looking for.

"Can I help you?" He asks after I've been staring for too long.

"I need," I pause and lower my voice, "any alcohol you got. All of it."

He smiles and nods. "One second." Then the door is closed in my face and he is gone for a few minutes.

The rain pours down on me, soaking my clothes even more and making me shiver.

I rest my head on the door and try not to beg. I need this feeling in my gut to go away. To leave and never come back, because it's spreading. It's spreading into my heart, seeping into my soul. I will take anything that will numb this feeling, even if it's only for a little while.

The door swings open, forcing me to pull my head off the door and stare this man in the eyes. "Okay, this is all the alcoholic drinks I have." He bites his bottom lip. "But it's not free," he says with a slight smirk.

The feeling in my gut grows and I can't think of anything I need more than this alcohol.

The man grabs my face and pulls me in for a kiss. Tears stream down my face as I try to fight, try to tell him I'll pay him money, but nothing works.

"Stop!" I scream through broken sobs. My voice is high pitched and can hardly be heard over my sobbing. My throat is sore from trying to scream for help or for him to stop, neither have happened yet. I kick and scream and try to break free but nothing works. "STOP!" I scream again, nothing.

"She told you to stop," I hear a voice say from behind me. The black haired man is now holding onto my face, I can't move to see who's talking. But still, my heart leaps out of my stomach at the hope of being saved. The man doesn't stop, he doesn't even look at whoever told him to stop before he says, "this is none of your business. Go away."

A laugh comes from the other man. "None of my business? This would be none of my business if you knew how to act. But unfortunately for you, you don't. So this is my business," the good guy says in a serious voice.

Now, the man trying to kiss me, looks up and sees who's talking to him. He immediately stops trying to kiss me and pulls away. I run into the chest of whoever just saved me with my vision blurred with tears. He hugs me back and the other man disappears into his dorm.

Word count: 1076
7-10-23
12:50 a.m
GUYS. DON'T BE AFRAID FO COMMENT ON THE CHAPTERS!! I love responding and reading all your messages!!