Chapter 61

When I wake up, I see the foggy grey sky and rain filling from the sky through the backyard glass door.

"Did you sleep well?" I hear Sebastian ask. He's not talking to me, I'm pretending to be asleep on the couch.

"Decent. Your house is too hot." I hear Hayden shuffle.

"Sorry," Sebastian says annoyed. "Your lucky I didn't make you sleep on the floor."

"I would have rather slept there."

"Oh come on," I practically feel Sebastian's eyes roll.

Hayden doesn't respond, probably shrugs.

"Your coffee is too sweet," he says.

"I think you just don't like sugar."

"No. I like sugar. You just add too much."

Silence. I hear the wind blowing from outside. I hear it shaking the trees, hitting the window, trying to come in.

"What did I do to you?" Sebastian asks, breaking the silence. "What did I do to deserve this kind of treatment?" He asks.

Another short break in witch Hayden is probably glaring at Sebastian.

"Your presents angers me," he says quietly.

"What the f*ck?" I hear Sebastian move around. "So you hate me for no reason?"

"You bought Adeline," Hayden taps the table. "And didn't think to ask her if she wanted to call someone."

"I—"

"You took care of her while she was sleeping—"

"Unconscious."

"Yeah, yeah," I fill this space with another eye roll. "But when she woke up, did you want her to stay with you? Because she reminded you of your boyfriend? I wonder."

Sebastian is quiet.

"Would you have kept her here? Lied to her? Told her everyone she loved was dead and gone? Tell her all her options are bad? Just so she would stay with you?"

"No—"

"Your lying."

"I am not!"

I get up. This bickering is stupid, Sebastian wouldn't have done that and Hayden knows it, he's just trying to get under his skin.

I walk to the entrance of the kitchen. When I get close enough I realize how bright the light is.

I stand in the doorway, holding on to the frame as my vision adjusts.

"Adeline, are you okay?" I hear Hayden ask.

I nod, letting go of the doorframe and walking into the kitchen. I find a chair across from Hayden.

"Good morning, Adeline."

I've never been much of a morning person, so one can imagine how much I don't want to talk right now.

"Morning."

I watch Hayden grin as if he's won an award or something. A glare is thrown in his direction from Sebastian.

"Guys I really don't feel like dealing with this, get along until I leave, okay?" I saw with an sarcastic smile.

"Yeah, sorry," Sebastian says.

"Fine," Hayden says glaring at Sebastian.

I groan, throw my hands up in surrender. "I give up."

I get out of my chair and go to the cabinet Sebastian showed me that was full of food. I grab a protein bar, I've never had one before. Living in the castle and at the school we always had food prepared for us by chefs.