Chapter 6

Sonya and I were cleaning up in the shared showers after a mandatory exercise exam at around eight. Once we were done, we started walking back to our dorm. The farthest away from the showers.

We talked while we walked. Sonya told me a story of a boy in her algebra class acting up and it lasted from the showers all the way to our dorm. Once we reached the dorm she finished her story and opened the door for me.

I walked in first and turned on the light. Sonya walked in behind me. I stopped walking when I saw a black haired boy sitting on my bed reading my book. He looked up at me and smiled.

"Howdy," he said. Sonya rolled her eyes behind me and walked around me.

"Get outa here, Jody." She waved a lazy hand at him signaling him to leave but he didn't budge.

"Don't be rude," he pouted. I glared at him and pointed to my bed.

"You're wearing day clothes on my bed," I said. He looked at his lap as if he didn't know.

"Oh, my bad," he said jumping up from my bed. He held my book as he looked around my side of the room. I walked up to him and pulled it out of his grip, surprisingly he let it go pretty easily.

"Pretty plain room you got here, no hobbies?" He asked. I glared at him.

Before I could speak, Sonya did. "She's new, dimwit." Jody gasped silently and took a double take on me.

"New girl! Your the princess, how did I not know?" He asked himself, smacking his palm to his face. "You're gorgeous," he winked. I cringed and quickly shut him down.

"Never gonna happen," I said quickly. He laughed and rose his hand.

"I'm not interested," he said pointing to a promise ring on his middle finger. "Can a guy not give a compliment?" He asked sarcastically. I blushed at my stupidity and blankly stared at him.

"Sorry," I said after minutes. Sonya stood by watching quietly, occasionally she would laugh at my awkwardness but other than that we had no idea she was there. That and she lives in the same dorm as me.

"I'm always open to you though..." Jody mumbled. Sonya elbowed hun in the side while she walked by.

"Be loyal, moron," she said. I laughed and Jody grabbed his rib cage. "Adeline isn't a homerecker," she added quietly.

"Why so mean?" He asked. Sonya shrugged and smiled.

"It's too easy with you." She dropped a big box on my desk. "This is decorations, use them," she said to me, moving on from Jody. I smiled and nodded before walking up to the box and looking inside as she stepped away.

The box was full of all kinds of bands, colors, pictures, and other blurs of things. I smiled brightly and hugged Sonya.

"You'll need it," Jody said looking over my shoulder. Sonya elbowed him in the ribs again and he doubled over in pain.

He didn't bother me about my room again.

Once Jody had recovered, a loud knock came from our dorms door. Inspections.

Inspections happen randomly any night or day, Sonya told me before. The can look under your bed, through your bureau, under mattresses, they can read your journals. Nothings safe, she said. Having boys in your room past five will get you in major trouble, she said.

Boys are not allowed in the dorms after five.

It was nine thirty.

Sonya and I stared at each other with wide eyes, then back at Jody. Without saying a word Sonya began shoving Jody out the window between both our beds. He used the desk under the window to prop himself up to climb out. While they did that I walked to the door and stalled.

"We're changing!" I yelled as I watched Jodi topple out of the window with a quiet thud. The knocks were louder the second time.

Sonya got off the desk and ran to her bed, sat down, and signaled for me to open the door.

When I opened the door, the headmistress barged in and immediately looked in the closet and under our beds.

"I heard boys," she said. Sonya and I looked at each other then back at the old hag in our room.

"No boys, just us," I said. Sonya agreed.

"I have a deep voice," she said in a deep voice. "I've been told I sound like a man... at times." Mrs Renea shook her head.

"No boys, okay?" She asked. Sonya and I nodded. She continued to look through our things. She walked over to my bed.

"It's warm here, have you been sitting?" She asked touching the spot Jodi had sat in minutes ago.

"Clearly," I answered.

"You're buttocks is not that big," she tisked. I gasped.

"What did you say to me?" I asked as if I was heartbroken. She blushed and shook her head.

"That's not what I mean, your highness!" She begged. Sonya and I laughed.

"We we're sitting together," Sonya said. I nodded quickly. Mrs Renea caught a glimpse of the desk in between both our beds under the open window.

Sonya you idiot.

"Why is that window open?" The headmistress asked placing her full attention on the window. Sonya and I exchanged a look.

"It was hot," was the first thing I could think of.

"It certainly doesn't feel hot now," she said shivering from the breeze.

"It's been open for quite a while," I nodded.

"Very well then," she said turning away. Then turning back. "What, is that?" She asked slowly. She pointed to a large muddy boot print in the middle of the desk.

Everything ran through my head. Sonya doesn't have shoes or feet that big, I don't either. Both Sonya and I were stumped on lies.

"Er.." I said under my breath. "We had some boys over at four to loosen our window," I said. Mrs Renea looked at me through her eyebrows while she raised them. "It was busted," I said slowly. She shook her head.

"You girls are so strange," she concluded. "I'm off now, have a good night. Please be good," she said. Sony and I nodded while she left, closing the door behind her.

The second she was gone both of us ran to the window. We climbed on the desk and looked out the window. On the ground, facing the stars, Jody laid thoughtlessly. Sonya and I laughed at the sight bringing Jodi back to reality.

"We should get going now," he said finally.

"Probably," Sonya said through tears of laughter. Jody stood and put his arms in the air for us to grab. Sonya and I gave him a side eye as we looked at each other. He opened and closed his palms like a baby but we didn't grab them. Soon his arms got tired and he let them fall back to his sides.

He walked around the small dorm and opened the door.

"Let's go now, the others are gonna be mad," he said.

Word count: 1126
3-12-23
Hope you enjoy the chapter 🫶🏻
(Jodi is Asian btw!!)