Chapter 31

By the time the sun finally came up, I hadn't gotten any sleep.

I'm sitting on my bed with an empty bag of brownies watching the sunrise from my open window. It's beautiful, makes me forget about the dreadful state of my life.

When the sun is fully in the sky, j get up. With my blanket wrapped around me, I walk down the hallway into the small kitchen. Hayden is in the kitchen. I haven't gotten used to sharing with him yet.

I sit in a high chair and rest my arms on the cold counter, then I rest my head on my arms.

I lift my head when he begins to talk, out of politeness. This is when I realize he's shirtless.

Holy abs.

"Rough night?" Hayden smirks. His face is implying we did something we didn't.

"Hayden, don't." I place my head back on my arm. He laughs and I hear the box of cereal he's holding move around. "You're not the least bit upset about Sonya, are you?" I ask, a hint of betrayal in my voice, knowing he hardly knew her.

His smile fades, I hear it in the way he responds. "You haven't heard?" He asks.

I don't respond.

He doesn't continue.

I groan. "What news?"

"Sonya's alive. She's been alive since late last night."

What.

I lift my head and stare at him. His face is unreadable. He's holding a box of sugary cereal and an empty bowl with cereal particles still in it.

"What."

The shock I'm feeling is paralyzing. Nobody thought to tell me my best friend is still alive, still breathing.

"But she's not in good condition," Hayden continues.

"Bring me to her," I demand.

His face doesn't change as he nods and disappears into his room to put a shirt on. I discard the blanket and make my way to the door, Hayden meets me there before I leave.

I open the door for myself and walk through, dropping the door on Hayden. He rolls his eyes and follows me out the door. My bodyguards, which have multiplied by the day, try to follow me but I stop them.

"We'll be back soon, he's considered a bodyguard so I'm fine." And that's all I had to say to lose my real bodyguards.

Hayden leads the way as we walk down the sidewalk into the medical part of the school, where students are taught how to treat wounds and all the medical basics, basically.

Once we walk in, I take charge. I demand to see Sonya, as their future queen. Hayden stands behind me with his arms folded and a scowl on his face. Half of me thinks he's the reason everyone is listening to me and not because I'm demanding them to.

They lead me to the room Sonya's in. All of our other friends are huddled around her, talking as if nothing happened. Sonya has burn marks all over her arms and probably all along her lower body, judging from the burns peeking out from her ankles. All her fingernails are gone. Blade marks scatter her body, there are three clear marks on her neck.

The moment fills me with rage and sadness and disgust.

Rage because nobody bothered to tell me she was alive.

Sadness because I cannot even begin to imagine what she's gone through.

Disgust because I can't believe someone could do this.

He body is one thousand percent ruined. Scattered with new trauma, torture.

"Sonya!" I yell as soon as I push down all the rest of my emotions. The only one left is joy.

She's alive.

She's alive and she's breathing and smiling, and staring at us all as if she never left. As if she's not in a hospital bed because she just survived being tortured.

"Line! What's upp," she responds in a hippy-like voice.

I stare at the others in confusion.

"We gave her weed after the numbing stuff wore off," Jody whispers. "She was in too much pain to ignore, but we didn't give her too much. Just enough to stop the pain, she's still fully conscious."

My eyes widen when he admits he gave a patient in a hospital weed. "What is wrong with you guys!?" I whisper yell. "Are you idiots!? What if they check her blood or something!?" They all look around at each other. I face palm myself.

"You're all idiots."

Sonya rustles around in her bed, shifting to get comfortable. I turn to her and smile, crouching down to be level with the bed.

"How are you feeling?" I ask in a low voice, trying to be as delicate as I possibly can with her in fear she might shatter with one wrong move.

"Better now that I have the weed in my system," she whispers back. I begin to laugh, a true, joy filled, weight lifting laugh.

I feel as if the world had been resting on my shoulders and I just put it down with one laugh. One laugh caused by her.

I want to fake hit her but decide against it in fear the burns will sizzle under my touch. "I can't believe you scared me like that! I seriously thought you were dead."

"I kinda was," she resounds with a shrug, "I was told they had to revive me."

"What was it like being dead," I ask with a light chuckle. It feels like it's only me and her in the room. Everyone else is gone.

"It was dark. I didn't see any angels so it was kindof a ripoff. Don't recommend."

Another laugh.

This time we laugh together.

Then silence. We don't have anything else to say. Well, we do but we don't need to say it. We sit in silence, with her heart monitor beeping in the background, absorbing each others auras.

The only thing I can think of is how happy I am she's still alive. I want her to be there for me and I want to be there for her. For everything.

The heart monitors beeping gets loud, and repetitive.

At first, it's normal beeping, just her heart being monitored but now, it's beeping extremely fast. I look away from the monitor and to Sonya.

She's seizing.

"DOCTOR!"  I scream. "SOMEONE GET A DOCTOR!"

word count: 1049
7-8-23
12:48 am
Sorry for not posting in a bit, life is hectic 😭
Have a wonderful day and vote if you want 🫶🏻
(Ps I didn't read over this chap)