Chapter 40

Hayden is sitting on the couch. I don't know where he got a phone but he has one and he's using it.

I'm sitting on the floor in the kitchen watching him. All the things Sonya said about him, all the times she wished I would get with him.

They all just make mw hate him more.

I don't even know why. I just hate him. I wish he was the one that died and not her. If she didn't die, I wouldn't feel like I need alcohol. I could live with him dying.

But here he is. On his phone, smiling as if Sonya is still alive.

It makes my blood boil, makes my skin burn.

I get off the kitchen floor, getting dizzy as I stand up. I don't know when was the last time I'd eaten but I don't care. I ignore the growling in my stomach and go to my room.

I collapse into my bed. Exhaustion from the weight of the day, week even, slamming down on my head and knocking me out cold.

When I wake up, I get out of my bed and walk to the kitchen. I stare at the plate of fruit clearly made for me and walk past it.

I'm not hungry.

I don't know how long I was sleeping for but it must have been a long time because now the sun is up.

The bathroom door opens and closes and out comes a half naked Hayden. A white towel os wrapped around his waist and covering all the special areas, another, smaller, towel is in his hand, he is using it to fry his hair.

I act like I didn't see him and walk to the couch.

"There's fruit on the counter," he says as he makes his way to his room.

"I'm not hungry," I say flatly.

"You haven't eaten in a long time," he responds.

"And it's because I'm not hungry." All the things I hate about him had resurfaced yesterday. He tortured someone yesterday and it looked like he'd done it before.

"Adeline—" before he can answer I interrupt him.

"Hayden. Im not interested in your food, okay? I don't want to talk to you. I'm tired of talking to you already, you don't seem to get the hint, I. Don't. Like. You. In fact, I hate you. So leave me alone." Not an ounce of regret flows through me as I finish what I'm saying.

Hayden rolls his eyes as if to say, 'here we go again.' "The food is going to stay there weather you eat it or not," he says. "I didn't make a plate specially for you. Daniella brought it over," he says in an annoyed voice.

Before I can respond he slams his door shut.

"THEN WHY DON'T YOU EAT IT!?" I scream ask through the door.

"I DON'T LIKE FRUIT!" He yells back.

I huff to catch my breath. When I look away from Hayden's shut door, my eyes hover to the plate of fruit sitting on the counter.

I am a little hungry.

_____

There's a lot of things we have to do before we go to the meeting tonight. The group still hasn't decided who's going. And none of us know what to wear. Sonya would have.

Which reminds me.

"Sonya has a whole room full of dresses and suits she made," I say. It was the coolest room I've ever been in and I lived in a castle. I haven't gone in ever since Sonya died but we used to hang out in there. She would force me to try on dresses as she fixed them up. We would have fashion shows.