Chapter 22

When we get back to the school, it's dark. It's a Saturday night and just past curfew so we have to be quiet not to be caught.

The boys separate from the girls and go to their dorms and us girls go to ours.

When Sonya and I make it into our dorm, our covers are in bed sleeping. We shake them awake and thank them for their help.

When they leave we force ourselves to change out of the party like clothes and into pajamas. Then we finally collapse into bed and sleep the whole night without any problems.

In the morning we are forced to attend church.

"This feels a little odd, doesn't it?" I whisper to Sonya, who is sitting right next to me.

"Yeah, everyone looks so gloomy." Her face was serious and she didn't turn to look at me when she spoke. "I think something bad happened while we were gone," she says.

"Hopefully not too bad," I say quietly.

The headmaster makes her way to the stage in front of the church and taps on the microphone. She is frowning and her eyebrows are heavy with sorrow.

"Today I have some bad news," she says. A pause. "A few of your fellow..." tears stream down her face. She brings a handkerchief to her nose.
"I'm sorry—" she says as she turns away from the microphone to collect herself. When she turns back, the look of sadness is hidden by a blank face.
"Your fellow classmates, Nichole, Rachel, and Evie, have been," she bursts out into tears again, but I don't think she needs to finish. We all know.
"They've been murdered," she says through a sob.

The room is silent. Some kids, probably kids very close to the three girls, burst out into sobs. Some of them say "no" over and over but it doesn't change the reality, they are dead.

A police officer takes the stand and the headmistress takes a seat on a chair behind the officer, drying her tears with her handkerchief.

"We are starting an investigation," the officer says. "If anyone has any information at all, please don't be scared to talk to us. We will be located in the headmistresses office and all around the school." Then he gets off the stage and leaves.

The room is in a silent shock. The only noise that could be heard was sobbing.

"Classes are dismissed until further notice," the headmistress says. "Go to your dorms for a while, try not to leave them too often, who knows if the killer is still around."

We leave.

Sonya and I don't talk the whole way back to our dorm. Three people are dead. We were gone two days and three people died.

We do our own thing on our own side of the room until someone knocks on our door.

Sonya answers and a police officer is on the other side. "We need to talk to both of you," he says. "Please step outside and follow me." Sonya and I look at each other with questioning faces but follow anyway.

The officer leads us to the headmistresses office. When we walk in all of our friends are there.

They're sitting in office chairs silently. Their faces are serious as Sonya and I take our seats.

"We heard you've all been gone from Friday to Saturday night," the police chief says. "Is this true?"

We all look at each other, not knowing if we should answer or not.

"Yes, it's true! They paid me to cover for them," one of the girls we paid to cover says. Snitch.

"Is this true? Girls?" The headmistress turns her head to Sam and Daniella, the goodie-two-shoes.

"Yes," they say in unison. The headmistress gasps in distress.

"I cannot believe this. I knew it was a bad idea for you to hang around this group! They'll surely corrupt the princess too—" she says.

"They most certainly will not," I say. "And we have more serious matters to tend to. Like, I don't know, murder? Why are you waisting your time punishing us? Go find the murderers," I say.

"That's the thing," an officer says. "You are our main suspects right now."

"What." Sonya's jaw drops.

"You we're missing the two days the murders happened." The police chief steps forward.

"Hah! Because we litterally weren't here we're your prime suspects? That's funny," I say. We were out of town. How on earth could any of us have done this?

"Where did you go?" The chief asks. "That's the only way you'll get out of this, otherwise you're still our prime suspects."

"We went to a concert," Levy says. "That's all."

The police chief sighs. "Kids, there are rules for a reason. Please don't break them like this again and end up in this situation."

We nod and begin to leave but before we can the headmistress stoops us.

"You will be dealt with later," she says.

___

We all meet up in the secret room we're always in.

"Three people in two days," Jodi says trying to wrap his head around it.

"This is insane," Levy says running his hand through his hair over and over again.

"They're not gonna do anything," Hayden says.

"Seriously? You're worried about our punishment right now?" I ask.

"No," he says in a confused voice though he doesn't look confused. "The police, they're not going to do anything about the murders," he says.

"Why not!?" I yell.

"They can't."

"Your spilling a lot of bullsh*t!" Three deaths in two days and they aren't going to do anything? That's not right, they have to.

"Hayden, what are you talking about, dude?" Jody asks.

"It was a gang. I saw the files when we were in the office, I grabbed them when the headmistress wasn't looking. The poor girls were tortured to death, it was morbid." He pauses picturing the files. "But it was also the M.O of a mafia that hires all kinds of gangs to target people," he says.

"This is way out of the polices hands."

word count: 1016
6-6-23
Guys I have nothing to do😭
(Hope you enjoyed!!)
❤️