Chapter 2

When I woke up from my final short nap of the night, it was morning. My parents were sitting beside my bed and waiting for me to wake up so we could leave.

Everything was packed except for a pair of jeans, a multicolored sweater, and underwear. I grabbed the clothes and changed into them when I first woke up, when I was ready we checked out and left.

When our driver, Mr Silvernston, grabbed my luggage to put in the back my mother saw the small dot on my wrist.

"What is that?" She asked with panic coating her sentence. I looked at my wrist then back at her.

"They gave me a shot. I'm sure it will go away soon." My mothers worried face did not seem at ease but she dropped the subject and got into the car. I followed behind and so did my father.

The driver got in the front and began to drive back to the castle. Usually my father would sit in the front too but my mother and father were both sitting in front of me, starting at me.

"We have something to tell you, Adeline," my mother said. My father put his hand over hers, which was resting on her thigh.

"What is it?" I asked slouching and leaning forward to hear them better.

"We've decided to send you to a boarding school," my mother announced. I leaned back and straightened my posture.

"What?" I asked stunned. My mothered eyes lowered in shame.

"Just for a year, darling," my mother said placing her hand on my knee.

"That's a long time!" I yelled. I didn't want to go anywhere. I didn't want to leave the castle.

"Why?" I asked interrupting a sentence my mother was about to begin.

"For your safety, baby," my mother said softly.

I had been attempted to be killed once and they want to lock me up in a boarding school, was this their excuse to get rid of me for a year?

"It happened once—" before I could finish my sentence I pictured my brother. He was hanging from the ceiling. Spinning around. When his body turned to me fully his face was white and his eyes were closed, he looked at peace and at war at the same time. I was traumatized.

This is why my parents are so protective of me. I am their last child. I am the only heir to the throne left. If I die, so does our dynasty. Maybe also a mix of 'I don't want my seventeen year old daughter to die' but you never know with them.

"Please, Adeline. Cooperate," my father said with sad eyes. I nodded and looked down. Even if I didn't want to go, they had a decent reason to send me.

The rest of the car ride was silent. My parents talked to each other while I moved to the left of the car and looked out the window. Everything was wet from rain, the window had raindrops on it, the grass looked yellow and the sky was grey. It looked depressing. Nothing was vibrant or colorful, everything was dull. I hated it. It reminded me of myself, dull.

When we reached the castle, Mr. Silvernston pulled into the C shaped drive way in front of huge gates and typed in a code, soon the black gates swung opened and he drove in.

Our driveway was longer then I thought it was and it took a minute and a half to reach the actual castle after passing the gate.

Mr. Silvernston stopped in front of the entrance and opened our door. We all got out and nodded a thank you to him. He grabbed my bags and placed them in a rolling cart like thing.

Once inside my mother turned to me and said, "You will be leaving once you're fully healed. Until then, no more press conferences or public outings, please?" I nodded and let her have her way. I didn't have the heart to give her a heart attack yet.

I walked to my room with Mr. Silvernston and he dropped off the bags in my room. I unpacked everything and put it away even though my mother had told me not to and that the maids would do it. My head was hurt, not my arms. I did it myself.

I roamed the castle. It had been a while since I walked around and my legs needed the stretch. When I turned, I grabbed the corner and my wrist felt immense pain. It was a stabbing pain, as if my entire hand was asleep but it wasn't.

I fell and grabbed my wrist. My feet still held me up but on my toes. Soon the pain was too much, I sat against the wall and put pressure on the spot. It seemed to be getting better so I stayed there like that. When the pain finally subsided, I got up and made my way to my room.

I was lightheaded and my wrist never fully stopped hurting. When I reached my room, I practically lunged myself at the bed and slept for hours.

When I woke up a maid was gently shaking me awake.

"It's time for dinner, Adeline." She said. The voice was one I was familiar with but hadn't heard in a while. Mrs Lee, It was Mrs Lee! I jumped up and hugged her.

"I haven't seen you in so long!" I said happy to see her back. She patted my back and we swayed back and forth before she answered.

"Babies are hard work! I never would have guessed. You were so easy." I smiled.

"I would be happy to help with her if you brought her here!" I said enthusiastically. Mrs Lee shook her head.

"I can't do that, sweetie. The royals would not be happy," she sighed. I shrugged it off.

"If you bring her here one day, 'because you couldn't get the daycare to take her,'" I said with quotations. "I may or may not be able to make them allow it," I shrugged. Mrs Lee laughed at my efforts.

"I'm glad you care, Princess. I really am, but maybe when you're better." I nodded and smiled.

"I would love that, please don't be scared to bring her whenever, my parents won't do anything to you as long as I'm here," I said. Mrs Lee smiled again and shook her head chuckling to herself.

"Let's go to dinner now, baby," she said reaching her arm out to gently pull me along.

Word count: 1084
3-2-23