Chapter 62

"Put your shirt on," I order after glaring at his grinning face for too long.

He pulls his shirt over his head, once the whole is over his head and through his shoulders, he pulls the rest down.

"You did that way too slowly," I glare.

He smiles and shrugs. "Sorry," he says standing up.

"No, your not, are you?" He starts walking towards me. I start backing up. This bathroom isn't that big.

In a few steps, he's way too close to me and I can no longer back up, my back is against the wall.

He leans his head in close, so my lips are inches away from his. He leans in even closer and I have to hold my breath. My eyes are going from his lips to his eyes and I can't decide which to focus on.

His lips are parted, perfectly pink, and pulling up at the edges in a smile.

His eyes are begging for something silently. His pupils are dilated, making it so the blue of his eyes is just at the edges.

Then, when he leans in when closer, I close my eyes. When the kiss doesn't come, I open them and he's smiling at me.

His head swerves to my ear, whispers. "No. I'm not." Then he opens the door and I fall backwards, the door swings so far open that we can see Sebastian in the kitchen. Before I hit the ground, Hayden catches me in his arm.

I turn to Sebastian, my face flushed, to see if he saw it all.

He did.

His mouth is hanging open.

"I'm fine," I say to both Sebastian and Hayden as I pull away from him and stand on my own.

"Good to hear," Sebastian says slowly as he continues to dry a wet dish.

"Isn't it?" Hayden asks with a huge grin on his face.

I smack it right off. But he only laughs at my abuse.

"Okay, I need out of this house," I say.

"There's a hiking trail just a few minutes from here," Sebastian answers.  "But, seeing as Hayden here," he points to Hayden with his eyebrows raised, "completely totaled my car—"

"I'll drive," Hayden says, interrupting Sebastian.

"You what?" I ask in both anger and surprise. Sebastian has done a lot for me these past few days and Hayden is doing nothing but abusing his kindness. "I'm so sorry, Sebastian. I'll get you a new car."

"Oh you don't have to do that, it's not that big of a deal I hardly use the car and I can always take the buss when I do ever need it."

"No. I'll buy you a new car."

There was no arguing with me.

"I'll be ready in an hour," I say turning my back to both the boys and heading to the bedroom I've been staying in.

______

When I return to the living room, Sebastian is sitting on the couch and Hayden is standing, staring out the glass door that leads to the back deck.

"Your ready," Sebastian notes as he gets up from the couch.

"Yes," I say. Hayden turns away from the door and smiles at me. "Let's go?" I turn to the door.

Sebastian follows behind me and behind him Hayden follows too.

When we get outside I get a glimpse of Sebastian's car.

Totaled indeed.

The top of it is covered in dents, all the glass is shattered, the wheels are slashed, along the side of the car is a mix of dents and scratches, as if someone had keyed the car. I only get a small glimpse of the inside but from what I see, it's destroyed on the inside too.

Sebastian notices my neck turned to his car even while we keep walking forward and leaned down so his lips are near my ear.

"Those windows were bulletproof."

I feel a shiver run down my spine and I don't know if it's from the way Sebastian whispers or if it's because Hayden broke through bulletproof glass.

I glance over at Hayden, he's smiling at the destroyed car like a proud artist.

We get to Hayden's car and I stop moving. A black Tesla sits idle on Sebastian's driveway. I turn to look at Hayden with my mouth open and he smiles when he sees me. He pulls the keys out of his pocket and swings them around on his fingers as he goes around the car and gets in the drivers seat.

Sebastian tries to get in the front but Hayden puts a hand out to stop him.

"This is her seat. You get the back."

"Wow, I've always dreamed of getting the back seats all to myself," Sebastian says sarcastically as he flips Hayden off and lets me in the passenger seat.

The interior of Hayden's car is red.

He grins at me as if to say, "what do you think," once I close my door and look at him.

"Wow," is all I can say.

Hayden puts one of his hands on the back of my headrest, the other on the swearing wheel, and turns his head to see what's behind the car before he backs up.

I watch him wink at Sebastian from the corner of my eye but can't see how Sebastian reacts.

Then he stars backing up.

"Sebastian can you just tell me when I need to turn?" He asks.

I watch from the rear view mirror as Sebastian crosses his arms and smiles a smug smile.

"Sebastian," I demand annoyed.

He deflates. "Turn right," he says in a flat voice.

"Thank you," I laugh.

_________

"This is it," Sebastian says as we turn into a deserted hiking trail.

"Come here a lot?" Hayden asks Sebastian in a mocking tone.

"Yeah, actually, I do," Sebastian answers annoyed.

"Will you two both just shut up!?" I order. "I'm going on a hike. If you guys can't handle it, don't come."

Sebastian smiles, "I think we'll be fine to go with you," he says.

"I'll stay," Hayden says, sitting on a park bench.

"Are you kidding!?" Sebastian asks turning to Hayden. "Your insufferable."

Word count: 1022
9-16-23
4:19 pm
(Not revised)
I think the banter between Hayden and Sebastian is just hilarious 😭😭
Have a good day