Chapter 73

JODYS POV

"So that's our plan?" I ask, scratching my head as I stare down at the map. "How do we know it's not a distraction or something? What if it's not updated?"

We just snuck into a huge building, what Hayden and Adeline didn't know was that we put trackers on them, we knew those earpieces wouldn't last very long. When we stopped at the cabin house they had been at for nearly a month, we found a nearly dead man, blood everywhere, furniture all over the place, and a huge whole in the wall.

Hayden and Adeline might be a little over the top, but they're not insane. Well— maybe Hayden but that's not the point.

We knew they didn't do it.

Sam is good it's medical things so she managed to help the dying man and he told us what happened. Then we dropped him off at an airport and Levy was driving too slow because he didn't want Sam, forget about the rest of us, to get hurt. So, Noah took over.

Noah was raised around NASCARS. In other words, we got here pretty quickly.

When we got here we snuck in through some air vents. And now we're trying to figure out a plan in one of the cleanest janitor closets I've seen in my seventeen years of life.

"Jody, we've gone over this at least a dozen times, what are you so paranoid about? The map is fine," Levy groans.

"Excuse me for not wanting to die," I say narrowing my eyes at him. Everyone else is laying around the room practically sleeping as Levy and I sit, hunched over this blueprint of a map that we borrowed from the top shelf in here.

"We're waisting time," Daniella says, finally sitting up, then standing up. She brushes her pants off. "Everyone up."

We follow as she says.

"Levy, you, and Noah are taking the upstairs, try to be quiet, don't be seen by anyone but if you are, tell them the boss sent you. That usually works on these idiots." Levy and Noah nod, they look more serious then I've ever seen them before, their arms are folded, eyebrows furrowed, face stern. I'm not used to seeing them any different than smiling and laughing at stupid jokes.

"Mateo, you, and Jody will take this floor, if you don't stay quiet, we're not bailing you out."

"No fair! You were so much nicer to Levy and Noah."

"They are less likely to get caught."

I inhale and smile. My eye almost twitches, maybe it does.

Daniella rolls her eyes and continues. "Sam, you, Rowan are in charge of keeping a look out on the top floor, you have radios, if you see anyone walking towards one of us, tell us to hide or move you know what to do."

Sam and Rowan nod.

"I'm going with Jody and Mateo to keep them in line, and to keep an eye out."

Everyone nods.

"Okay, let's go." She peeks out the door and when she sees the coast is clear, she waves us to follow her. We all go our ways.

Surprisingly to Daniella, Mateo and I know when to be serious. She act like she hasn't lost our secret competition but I know she has and that fills me with enough joy to kill a nation.

Out of what seems like nowhere, we hear screaming. Loud, blood chilling, screams.  We all share a glance. We're frozen in time, all staring at each other not knowing what to do.

A few seconds pass and then we hear banging. It's very weak, coming from the door just across the hall from us.

Mateo and I try to pull the door open but it's not moving. We throw ourselves at the door but still nothing. The weak banging has stopped. We have no idea what we're doing, what's going on in there. We just know someone's in here.

Daniella finds something to pry the door open and gives it to us with a loud exhale. "It's a metal door, you guys won't make it move."

"Thanks for the motivation," I say sarcastically.

"Anytime." She fake smiles but it dies so quickly if I'd blinked I would have missed it.

Mateo and I pry the door open. Gas pours out of the opening, when we open the door more, we realize there's a girl in there, she's limp when Mateo pulls her out. We roll her onto her back and pull her hair out of her face.

Adeline.

My heart picks up. I feel like I've just been punched in the stomach in a good way. She's so pale, paler than usual. Her hair is clumped up probably from the gas. Her cheeks are red, red nose, under her eyes is red and purple. She's not looking good.

"We have to find Sam," Daniella says. "She knows how to handle this." She brings her radio to her mouth. "Sam, meet back at the janitors closet. We found Adeline."

And then Mateo and I are each holding one of Adeline's arms as she dangles in between us while we run to the closet. She can't be that far gone, we heard her banging just a few minutes ago.

Sam is already in the closet by the time we get there. Mateo helps me lay Adeline onto the floor and then we stand back a we watch Sam her thing.

Sam only works on Adeline for a little while before Adeline takes a deep breath and her eyes fly open, fear glazing them.

She looks around the room confused. After a few minutes she finally talks.

"I thought I was going to die," is what she says. All of us pile on top of her in an attempt to hug her. It's been too long since we've all been together, since we've all laughed and talked. "Guys— it's getting hard to breath," Adeline manages to huff out.

We get off and she looks around.

"Where's Hayden?"

Word count: 1004
11-5-23
9:33 pm
(Not revised)
I HATE THIS CHAPTER WITH MY WHOLE HEART BUT I NEED TO GET SOMETHING OUT 😭😭
Well, I hope you enjoyed this more than I did lol