Chapter 85

When I feel a sudden feeling of falling, I jolt awake. Beside me, Hayden lays awake. He looks startled by my waking but he gets over it quickly.

"I thought you were going to sleep forever." He doesn't sit up, just stares at the ceiling with a blank expression on his face.

"How long did I sleep for?" I ask, and then realize how stupid of a question it is. He was asleep when I fell asleep.

"Two to three days."

"Are you messing with me?" I ask. I try to look annoyed but on the inside I'm happy he's messing with me because it means he's feeling better, not crammed with stress.

Hayden smiles.

He hasn't smiled in a long time. My heart pounds in my chest and I can hear it in my ears. His smile answered my question with a 'yes.' I grab the pillow behind me and throw it at him. He catches it and holds it to his chest, hugs it.

His smile is gone when he says:

"We need to talk, Adeline."

My heart is still pounding. What could he want to talk about?

"Okay," I say. My face as serious as his. "What's up?"

Hayden takes a breath. "We've been through a lot, you, me, and the others even. It's been a hard couple of weeks."

"Tell me about it. Sam's never going to recover."

"Yeah, but I don't just mean the fire, Adeline. I mean everything, Sonya's death, finding out your brother didn't kill himself, getting kidnapped and tortured, watching Sebastian get shot and left behind, my father kidnapping us both, the gas chamber he put you in, the fire. It was all a lot."

He pauses to let me add anything but I just nod and let him continue.

"I've been through a lot too, but I have thick skin, I'm used to it. I'm used to the pain of losing someone, used to physical torture, you're not. And even though you were in pain, you cared about me. You helped me."

"You helped me too," I say. He needs to know that it's not just one sided.

He nods and continue, dismissing my words. "Adeline, when you asked me if I choose the lighter or you, I chose the lighter."

The memory sends a knife through my exposed heart. I wasn't expecting that.
"I remember," I say trying to swallow the words.

"Yeah, but I don't want you to," he says. "I don't want you to remember that  because it's wrong. I was stupid. I was desperate for some kind of relief from all the pain. I never knew..." he tapers of and looks me in the eyes. His deep blue eyes are showing he feels vulnerable. "I never knew you could give me a better kind of relief."

I smile at his words. I'm now realizing what he's saying. My heart is pounding in my ears, my head is spinning with excitement. Finally.

Hayden sits up. "Adeline, if you were to ask me to chose between the lighter and you, I would choose you. Every. Single. Time."

He doesn't break eye contact with me for what feels like ages and I feel myself starting to become fidgety. I don't know what to say, I feel the same but I can't just say that. I can't just say "okay, same" after he just said all that. But I can't leave him hanging, so instead, I lean in.

I feel my face get close to his. I can feel his breathing, it's speed has increased since I watched him sleeping earlier. His lips are all the sudden not chapped at all, they look soft. I pause to rethink, what am I doing?

But Hayden grabs the back of my head and pulls me in. Our lips touch and he's kissing me like he's been wanting to for years. He's kissing me like a starved puppy and I can't get enough of it.

After I've had enough of just regular kissing, I get on his lap and lean into the kisses even more. He gets his tongue in my mouth and it's something I thought I would be disgusted by but I can't think of anything but how much I like it.

He's holding my waist but his hands are slowly making their way to the base of my shirt. He wants to take it off.

"Are you sure you want this?" Hayden asks. "Your not confused or—"

"I know what I want," I tell him, putting my finger to his lip. When I bring it down, I do it against his lips and my finger catches on his bottom lip, exposing some of his pearly white bottom teeth.

Right when Hayden starts lifting my shirt, the door swings open and Grayson is standing in the doorway, starstruck.

I take Hayden's hands off of me quickly and get off of Hayden, now I'm sitting beside him on the bed. Grayson is staring at both of us with utter shock.

"Isn't it— isn't sleeping with the Princess TREASON?" He whisper yells.

Hayden's eyebrows furrow and he brings his hand to the bridge of his nose and pinched it. "Treason, Grayson? Seriously?"

"Dead seriously."

"No, Grayson. Sleeping with the princess wouldn't be treason."

"They would punish you for it, no?"

"How am I supposed to know?"

Watching the two banter about me back and forth as if I'm not here is amusing. The thing their bantering about, on the other hand, not so amusing.

The two boys look at me for an answer.

"It would probably be frowned upon by my parents and others who find out but I don't think there's a punishment for it," I answer.

"See, now you can relax," Hayden says.

"I was only freaked out for you!" Grayson whisper yells.

"Okay, everything's fine, what did you come in here for?" I ask him.

"You guys had been in here for a long time, the others dared me to 'check on you' as if you aren't basically adults."

Hayden and I look at each other then burst out in laughter. Our friends knew what we might be doing and sent Grayson in as a prank or something.

"Okay, I'm leaving now."

"We'll be out soon."

"Don't do anything on my bed!"

My face flushes red and I hide myself in a pillow.

Word count: 1010
12-26-23
1:56 pm
(REVISED!!!!)
Hope you guys enjoyed 😍😍 HAYDEN AND ADELINES FIRST KISSSS AND NOW THEY'VE CONFESSED THEIR FEELINGS 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳
It's been a long time coming 😭