-68th-

(Fun fact: I am just gonna slide a winning year over, I wanted Johanna to keep the canon win of 71st and Annie 70th but I'll make Annie 69th and Johanna 70th, just to give them one more year for the fuckfest they are.)

Athena laughed, laughed as much as a newly turned 18 year old victor can while watching her tributes in the arena from the corner of her eyes.

Her never changing fashion sense a staple in the Capitol, the smug and bold woman their sweetheart, their first love, the Capitol just ate her up.

"Fish-brains that is just wrong." She said, holding a whisky glass from above with the tips of her claws, tapping her pointer finger against it.

"Whaaat?" Finnick responded with a laugh too, nudging her shoulder with his. "Come on Kitten, if they get to sleep with me I get to criticize their execution." He imitated grabbing something and thrusting his hips against, making Athena laugh again and smack him on the head with the back of her free hand.

"What would Mags say if she saw you doing this?" She asked the other victor, both of them standing in the lounge and leaning against the bar in there, this area created long ago for the victors, so they could watch the games, drink and exchange when they weren't out and about getting sponsors for their tributes.

"Don't you dare tell her."

"What would you do to stop me Fish-brains?"

"Don't make me."

She lifted her claws.

"Try me." She said, dropping her drink on the bar top. "MAGS!!" She ran off.

"Come back here!" Finnick yelled, chasing after her and tackling her down.

------------------------------------------------------

She was tackled in the back, making her swing back, the metal claws slicing into the tributes face.

"Fuck!!" He screamed as she pulled herself out, kicking him in the chest, sending him tumbling back.

She scrambled too her feet, looking around for the discarded blade but she couldn't find it.

"Ah!" She gasped as her leg was grabbed and she was pulled down.

"You are dying here! I'll bring pride too 1!" He yelled, grabbing her face and slamming it in the rocky ground covered by the snow.

She elbowed him, sending him off her and she jumped after him, causing them to slide down the side, something neither expected.

"AAAAAAH!!!!" Came a scream through the arctic mountains as the two young grappled people tumbled down the icy slope.

One took a punch too the face, her head whipping back as the hood was thrown off her face, she could barely feel it, all of her limbs were numb from the cold or was in pain already, blood already starting to freeze to her skin.

She swung down with a hand flexed in a claw, the metal sinking into the throat of the other young kid from 1, struggling to push her off.

And she yanked, the metal claws ripping a large hole in the throat of the boy laying under her.

She panted, still pressing the boy into the cold snow, trembling from the cold and what she did but she needed to go home, she needed too, her brother is waiting for her to come back too him.

And so, striking down once again, put the boy out of his misery, more of his blood splattering on her face as the telltale sound echoed out around them.

Boom.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the winner of the 66th hunger games! Athena Hadley from district 2!"

---------------------------------------------------

"Kitten! Hey! It's Finnick, stop!" He pinned her arms, no other choices as the first swing that almost blinded him seemed to be too well aimed to be a friendly rebuke. "The games are over!"

She looked around, struggling to breath, it was still the victor lounge, it was not cold anymore, it was not the boy from 1, she was a victor and that was over.

She gently pushed him off as she sat up, holding her face in her hands.

"I'm sorry.... I..."

"Sshh, it's okay, I get it." He pat her shoulder.

She rubbed down her face, she couldn't cry, not here, not wanting to be weak in front of others or herself.

She needed to be perfect, to protect Cato, she needed to protect him.

"Come on, lets find Mags yeah?" Finnick said, helping the girl stand.

Back in 2 the games continued, no one could understand the young victor's regrets so she stopped telling, growing cold, angry, brash and bold, just like how they expected 2's victors to be, she just became one of them to survive.

But Mags, despite only rarely seeing her, most of the time as a mentor, Athena found comfort in the older woman.

The other victors still looked at her like they always looked at 2 despite talking too her but not Mags, the older woman understood.

------------------------------------------------------

"It will be alright." The older mentor said, rubbing the young girl's arm, Finnick sitting on her other side and watching Athena.

"It has been two years ago and I still can't forget it... Does it ever get easier?" She asked the older woman who sadly smiled.

"You live with it."

A 'no' without saying it.

She sighed.

-------------------------------------------------------

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the winner of the 68th hunger games! Ares Taleri from district 2!"

She sighed, almost disappointed, sad for the other tributes but grinned, patting the boy's shoulders.

"Good job." She hugged him as cameras clicked.

"Thanks too you." He winked, they let him keep his expensive looking dagger that Athena got him through sponsors, she felt sick watching the games but still, she is a district 2 mentor, she tries to look out for her tributes just like everyone else, those from 2 feeling like home.

"Lets get you ready for your interview, you need to look good, your life as a victor starts now."

"I can't wait."

She smiled back, like many of 1 and 2, Ares was just like them and nothing like Athena, while she saw the truth behind these games, he remained oblivious too them.

Tho she wished she had remained that too.