-Fog-

(Fun fact: I love mixing and matching timelines so the reader can never know whom I kill, keep alive or ignore completely in fanfics, specifically, the hunger games.)

Athena had become a master at sleeping through her nightmares.

No matter how much of a bloody Cato begged for her to save him, no matter how many times she slit his throat, no matter how many times she strangled Clove, no matter how many times she was back into the freezing cold... Waking seemed to be worst then the nightmare.

But the loud agony of a scream woke her up, jerking her body up, seeing Katniss tumble down and grab her hand, white boils and warts covering it, shaking in pain.

"The fog!!" She screamed, the white ghostly fog rolling in overs them filled Athena's view. "The fog is poison!! Run!!"

Athena hopped up, not to gently wrapping her arm around Peeta's and yanking him up as Finnick grabbed Mags in panic, Katniss scrambling to run after them.

But the fog seemed to have a mind of its own, rolling in deadly wave that gave of cold whiffs, the air now burning the lungs, and it moved fast, whipping out around them, trying to surround them all.

"Fuck!" A wisp of it lashed out, grabbing at the living flesh, it seeped through the armored gauntlet as if it didn't exist as Athena swung her arm into it to keep it from touching her face, it felt like her skin was boiling off because of frostbites... No, she was missing her frostbites as those hurt less then this did, being skinned alive.

There was a stumbled and scream.

She could just get rid of her like this, the fog engulfing Katniss' legs.... But Athena had a sense of honor.

She stalled, running back and grabbing her arm and the clothes on her back in a vice grip and throwing her forwards almost, kicking up the fog with such a movement.

"Run run run!" She pushed her to run, having lost sight of the boys currently.

Katniss looked behind her and around, the fog closing in.

"I said run!" Athena shoved her into a stumble down the hill-ed arena with a hand on her back.

Finally she did when another wisp burnt into her face.

Athena could have let Katniss perish but such was not who she was, sure she wanted her dead, but to let the gamemakers do it? Through agonizing pain? No, Athena prided herself almost on the quickness of her ways, and not giving Katniss a fighting chance? That's cowardly... And as much as she hated it, but the terrified look on the girl's face was too much to leave her behind.

Katniss ran up on a trunk over a small cliff and jumped, landing just out of the reach of the fog, finally not being seconds away from surrounded tho she knew it wouldn't last, Athena being less lucky, landing with her feet in it, just grinding her jaws together.

"Peeta?!" Katniss yelled, seeing the boy down, Finnick yelling at Mags who tried to use all her strength to make him let go of her while he was trying to drag the boy away at the same time.

She crouched down, trying to help but with Finnick's attention elsewhere, she couldn't pull him herself.

"Finnick! I can't pulled him alone!" Katniss yelled.

"Stop fucking fighting!" Athena came up, skipping to a stop and pushing Mags back into Finnick's arms and pushing him too. "Run!"

"Athena?!"

"I said run!!" She screamed at him, serious. "And take her with you!"

And despite his whole mind screaming at him for what he was doing, holding Mags tightly as he grabbed Katniss' arm, he ran, feeling like the coward he was being.

"Peeta!!!" The girl screamed, fighting back but unable to free her arm.

Athena dropped in a crouch and flipped Peeta too his back and sat him up, Katniss had no chance of being able to lift him but she had, with years of training and just her age on them, they were still both so young.

She pulled one of his arms over her shoulder and grabbed the leg on the same side, hefting him on her back tho it took time, sadly causing him and her brushing up with the fog.

She thought the others got away quickly but she barely made it ten meters that there was a drop off that she tumbled down, dropping the boy.

She looked up, seeing everyone at the bottom of the drop, near a little salty pond of water.

"Move!" She yelled, looking at the fog but it was like it stopped moving, going straight up into the sky, like if a wall had stopped it from happening.

She watched it in momentary awe before falling on her back with a groan, eyes closed.

"What the hell was this?" She muttered, opening her eyes back up, all her body was in pain from the blisters of agony.

She heard another scream and she flipped to her stomach, baring her teeth as she reached towards the sheathed sword but it was just Katniss with her hand in the water.

"Come! The water! It helps!" She showed her hand too Athena since she noticed her watching, the wounds caused by the fog melting off into a white milky liquid and leaving only slightly reddened skin underneath it.

She pulled herself too her knees and elbows, going too the water on all fours and taking a deep breath, stepping onto her feet and jumping into the shallow pond into a belly flop.

She screamed, bubbled rising around her head, if the fog felt like blistering burns, this felt like ripping the burnt skin off and rubbing salt into the wound.

She flipped onto her back, gasping as she brought her head out of the water, just staring at the canopy of the trees, claws digging into the softly muddy bottom of the pond, slowly but surely the pain mixed away into the water and only a dull ache remained which was much better.

She slowly sat up before standing, seeing Katniss dunk Peeta into the water with Finnick as he screamed bloody murder.

"You alright?" Athena breathlessly asked Mags, the lady shaken up but Finnick did a good job keeping her out of the corrosive fog.

She nodded meekly before smiling at her, Athena offered a tired one back, doubting their time in the arena will be any better then it was currently.

And how correct she was.