Chapter 2

"Keep up, please, and follow me. Quickly now, come on. Come on."

Alex walks beside Harry as they take large steps to keep up with Percy. They finally stop in front of a portrait of a woman, "Password?"

"Caput Draconis." The portrait nods and swings open allowing them inside, "Follow me, everyone. Keep up, quickly, come on. Gather 'round here. Welcome to the Gryffindor Common Room. Boys' dormitories, upstairs and down to your left. Girls, the same on your right. You'll find that your belongings have already been brought up."

Hermione and Alex make their way up the stairs and into a red dormitory. The walls are painted a light red while the beds are dark colours.

Gryffindor robes sit on their beds along with their cases and bags.

Alex throws herself onto her bed as their other dorm mates, Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil, make their way inside. The room is spilt into two halves, Hermione and Alex take one and the other two take the other half.

"I don't think I'm ever going to leave this bed."

Hermione chuckles at her as she begins to unpack her bags, placing books onto the shelf above her bed and neatly folded clothes into the dresser.

With a sigh Alex pulls herself out of her bed and opens her trunks. She takes out her clothes organising them into piles and then organising her books onto the shelf in alphabetical order.

When she's finished she changes into her pyjamas which are an oversized Quidditch jersey that belonged to her mother and a pair of shorts.

"Hey, Hermione?" She whispers when the lights go out.

"Yes?" Comes the soft reply.

"Do you think I'll find out who my father is one day?"

Hermione pauses for a moment, and for a seconds Alex thinks she's fallen asleep, "I don't know," The girl answers honestly, "But I'll help you." She promises.

"Thanks."

~~~~~

Alex leans forward as she copies down her notes neatly. The door behind them bursts open and Ron and Harry run through the door. "Whew, amazing, can you imagine the look on old McGonagall's face if we were late?"

The cat that was perched on the table jumps into the air morphing into the Professor. Ron's mouth drops open, "That was bloody brilliant."

"Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Maybe if I transfigured Mr. Potter and yourself into a pocket watch, maybe one of you would be on time."

"We got lost."

"Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats."

The pair take a seat behind Hermione and Alex mumbling out apologies to the teacher.

Alex places her quill down when she finishes her work. Her hair begins to change to a blonde without her noticing as she stares up at the ceiling. Hermione nudges her with her elbow and points to her hair with wide eyes.

Alex looks at her hair and quickly closes her eyes allowing her hair to turn back to its usual dark colour, "That tends to happen when I day dream." She admits quietly to the girl.

~~~~~

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class," Professor Snape says as he walks into his classroom, his robes flowing behind him, "As such, I don't expect any of you to enjoy subtle science and exact art that is potion making."

"However, for those select few, who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death. Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not... pay...attention."

Hermione nudges Harry and he looks up to see Snape glaring in his direction, "Mr. Potter. Our new, celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Hermione's hand shoots up and Harry shrugs, "You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?"

"I don't know, sir."

"And what is the difference between Monkshood and Wolf's bane?"

"I don't know, sir."

Alex feels herself getting angrier. He's picking on him on his first day, it's not fair on Harry.

"Harry only found out he was a Wizard a few days ago, that's not fair."

Snape's head whips in her direction, "Miss. McGonagall, exactly like your father, saving his friends behinds, or, if I remember correctly, he was often the one getting them into trouble in the first place. If it's not fair, answer these questions for Mr. Potter."

She shrugs, "Asphodel and wormwood creates a sleeping potion. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and Wolf's bane and Monkshood are the same thing."

Snape's brows raise and she sits up a little taller than before. Ron pats her on the back proudly as the Professor turns away preparing to teach the lesson. Her cheeks turns a rosy pink, the tips of hair too as she ducks her head down.