Chapter 11

Alex grips her red jacket tighter as she sets off on her journey to find Hagrid, today Buckbeak is getting executed, she promised the Half-Giant she'd visit him before it happened to comfort him.

She hasn't spoken to Harry once, she's even swapped places with Hermione or Ron in class just to stay away from him, she either eats with Ginny, Dean, Neville or sometimes by herself.

Hermione and Ron find it tiring trying to spend tie with both of their friends, but they've made it work, mostly, you barley see more than two of them together anymore.

But today is one of those days, because when Ron couldn't find his friend anywhere he had to settle for hanging out with Harry and Hermione.

"Oh, I can't wait to watch this."

"Are you sick in the head?" Alex spits as she sees Malfoy, Crabbe and Nott leaning against a rock to watch.

"Ah, it's the lone wolf, the friendless freak."

She rolls her eyes, "Couldn't come up with anything else in that small pea brain f yours, Malfoy? Seriously, what is wrong with you?"

Draco scowls as he walks closer, "I'd be careful if I were you, Black."

She clenches her jaw and acts like it didn't affect her, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's supposed to mean that father can get any information form the Ministry, meeting times, Quidditch matches, big events, birth certificates..."

Grabbing her wand she presses him up against the rock, "I swear, if you ever mention me or my father to your pathetic daddy I will hex you so bad you'll forget your own name."

Draco whimpers and his friends freeze knowing not to get on the wrong side of the hot headed girl. They gulp as he hair shifts from black to red very slowly.

"I can't believe they're going to kill Buckbeak. It's just too horrible." Hermione says as she, Harry and Ron walk down the steps.

"It just got worse." They follow Harry's gaze to see a red headed Alex holding her wand against a whimpering Malfoy's throat.

"You! You, foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach!" Hermione yells as she approaches them.

She glares at Malfoy her wand also now pointing at him, "Hermione, Alex, no! He's not worth it."

Hermione slowly pulls away rolling her eyes as she steps back, Alex does too, "Doesn't have the guts to do something like her pathetic father would with that crazy mind of his."

A loud smack rings out as Alex punches him and his head hits against the rock, she watches as he quickly runs away and shakes her fist trying to rid the pain.

"That felt good."

"Not good, brilliant!"

"What are you doing here?" Alex asks turning to look at them, avoiding looking at Harry.

Hermione swallows awkwardly as Ron shifts back and forth on his feet, "Going to visit Hagrid."

She nods her head, "I'll come back later then."

"Nonsense, you're here now, may as well come with us."

Before anyone can do anything Hermione is grabbing her hand and dragging her towards the small cottage at the bottom of the hill.

"Look at him. Loves the smell of the trees when the wind blows through them." Hagrid says as he looks at Buckbeak through the open window.

"Why don't we just set him free?" Harry asks, sending a glare to Alex who scoffs loudly, wanting him to hear her opinion on the very stupid idea.

"They'd know it was me, and then Dumbledore... would get into trouble. He's coming down, Dumbledore. Says he wants to be with me when they... When it happens. Great man, Dumbledore. A great man."

Alex smiles warmly at him, making Hermione and Ron look at her in shock as the most they've gotten in weeks is a slight upturn of her lips, "We'll stay with you too, Hagrid."

"You'll do no such thing! Think I want you seeing something like that? No. You just drink your tea and be off. Oh. Before you do, Ron..." He pulls a rat out of his pocket and hands it to Ron.

"Scabbers! You're alive!" Ron cheers taking the rat from Hagrid.

"Keep a closer eye on your pets, Ron. Which reminds me, Alex, Jellybean has been coming down here, if you were wondering, her and Fang get alon' nicely." She follows where he's pointing to see her cat curled up in Fang's bed as he sits protectively in front of her.

"I think you owe someone an apology."

"Right," Ron rolls his eyes, "Next time I see Crookshanks, I'll let him know."

"I meant me!"

A small pebble hits through the window and smashes a pot behind the two girls making their brows furrow, "Blimey! What was that?

"Ow! Hagrid!" Harry calls as he sees the Minister and Dumbledore.

"Oh, crikey. It's late. It's nearly dark. You shouldn't be here. Someone sees you outside the castle at this time of night, you'll be in trouble. Big trouble. Particularly you, Harry. With you in a moment! Quick. Quick!"

He ushers them out not giving them a chance to say their objections, "Hagrid, wait."

"It'll be fine. It'll be okay. Go on, go on!"

They hide behind a pumpkin patch and peek their heads over the top to watch, Hermione's head whips behind to look into the forest, "What?"

"I thought I just saw... Never mind."

"Let's go!" Ron says grabbing Alex's hand and dragging her up the hill.

Alex closes her eyes and turns away as they watch the executer raise his axe, she flinches when she hears it go down and buries her face into the crook of Ron's neck as he awkwardly hugs her back.

Ron jumps making Alex step back, "He bit me! Scabbers!"

"Ronald!" Alex scolds as she chases after the red head Hermione and Harry following closely behind.

"Scabbers, come back!"