Chapter 4

"Intriguing, isn't it?" Professor Lupin says as he stands in front of the class, a wardrobe sits beside him, rattling every now and then, "Would anyone like to venture a guess... as to what is inside?"

"That's a boggart, that is." Dean says.

"Very good, Mr. Thomas. Now, can anybody tell me what a boggart looks like?"

"No one knows." Hermione says appearing between Ron and Alex making the pair jump in surprise, Alex's hair changes into three different colours before settling back to its natural black.

"When did she get here?"

"Boggarts are shape-shifters," Alex says looking to the Professor who nods in encouragement, "They take the shape of whatever a person fears the most. That's what makes them so bloody..."

"So terrifying, yes, yes, yes..." He says quickly interrupting her, "Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. Let's practice it now," Alex grips her wand and clears her throat, "Without wands, please. After me. Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" The class repeats.

"Very good. A little louder and very clear. Listen, Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!"

"Very good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Let me explain. Neville, would you join me, please? Come on, don't be shy. Come on," Alex nudges him forward and he slowly walks over to the Professor, "Hello. Neville, what frightens you most of all?"

"Professor Snape." Neville admits, Alex snorts loudly and looks down to try and hide her laughter.

"Professor Snape. Yes, frightens all. You live with your grandmother."

"I don't want it to turn into her, either."

Lupin quickly shakes his head, "No... it won't. I want you to picture her clothes. Only her clothes, very clearly, in your mind."

Neville closes his eyes as he steps forward, "She carries a red handbag..."

"We don't need to hear. As long as you see it, we'll see it. Now, when I open that wardrobe... here's what I want you to do. Excuse me. Imagine Professor Snape in your grandmother's clothes. Can you do that? Yes. Wand at the ready. One, two, three," Snape steps forward as the cupboard opens up slowly, "Think, Neville, think."

"Riddikulus!" Neville stutters. Suddenly Snape looks around as he wears a green coat and a large vulture hat. The class erupt into laughter, Alex being the loudest as she points at the teacher who is always looking for a reason to give her a detention.

"Wonderful, Neville, wonderful! Incredible! Okay... to the back, Neville. Everyone, form a line! Form a line! I want everyone to picture the thing they fear the very most... and turn it into something funny. Next! Ron!"

The boggart changes into a large spider and Ron whimpers. "Concentrate. Face your fear. Wand at the ready, Ron."

"Riddikulus!"

"Yes! You see? Very good, very good! Marvellous! Absolutely, very, very enjoyable! Alex, come on up."

Alex grins when it finally gets to her turn, suddenly, her three friends, Uncle Chris, Uncle Al and her grandmother are standing before her. The class goes silent as they watch, waiting to see what happens. One by one they all walk away from her.

Alex gulps as she watches Chris slowly walk away from her and then her grandmother, until finally only Ron is left, she watches his back turn to her, "It's not real, 'Lex."

Snapping out of it she shakes her head, "Riddikulus!"

She quickly walks away, not bothering to see the large spider it had turned into as that was the last joke she had played on Ron, with the help of the twins.

Standing at the back of the class he watches as Harry steps forward, the boggart changes into a Dementor and Harry freezes. Thinking fast Lupin jumps in front of him and the Boggart changes into a glowing orb. "Riddikulus!"

"Right. Sorry about that. That's enough for today. Collect your books from the back. That's the end of the lesson. Thank you! Sorry! Sorry, you can have too much of a good thing."

Not actually paying any attention as she shoves her books into her satchel Alex ignores her three friends as she walks out.

The three share a look and Hermione chases after her, "Alex, wait!"

"Oh, hey, 'Mione." She says shaking herself out of her trance.

"Are you okay?" She asks cautiously.

"Yeah, yup, brilliant."

Hermione looks behind her and gestures for Ron to take her place as she falls back beside Harry, "You aright there, 'Lex?"

She nods, "So," He looks back at Hermione who gestures for him to go on, "What was that about?"

Hermione face palms at his bluntness, "What?"

"The boggart."

She swallows slightly and looks forward avoiding his gaze, "I guess since, my mum died and dad is... somewhere, could be dead himself, no one will tell me, I just didn't want more people to leave me." She shrugs.

Ron grabs her hand stopping her, Harry and Hermione awkwardly walk around them which the pair barley notice, "I won't ever leave you, I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Ronald."

"This is one I intended to keep Alexandra."

"Don't-"

"Call me Alexandra."