Chapter 5

"Now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. You see Hogwarts has been chosen..."

Dumbledore's cut off by Filch running up the tables, his knees going high into the air, Alex snorts and points at him, her laughter filling the quiet hall. Filch and Dumbledore talk quietly for a moment before he takes off running again.

"So Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Tri-Wizard tournament.
Now for those of you who do not know, the tri-wizard tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete."

"Now let me be clear, if chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say these
contests are not for the faint hearted, but more of that later. For now please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of magic and their headmistress Madam Maxine."

A bunch of girls dressed in short blue dresses walk through the door, the boy's practically drool over them as they give of airy sighs. Ron leans forward, almost falling off of the bench making Alex grab his elbow and roll her eyes, "Bloody hell."

The Headmistress follows her students in and Seamus Finnegan, who sits on the other side of Alex, leans forward, "Blimey, that's one big woman."

"And now our friends from the North, please greet the proud sons of Drumstrang and the high master Igor Krakaroff."

A group of boys walk in, hitting their staffs against the floor emitting sparks. Repeating Ron's actions Alex leans forward making Ron grab her elbow, "Bloody hell."

"Blimey," Ron exclaims, he loosens his grip on Alex, luckily, Seamus catches her before she can fully fall out of her seat, "It's him, Viktor Krum!"

"Thank you, for that, Ronald." Alex says sarcastically.

"Albus!" The Headmaster exclaims.

"Igor."

They watch as students take their seats, Drumstrang at the Slytherin and Beauxbatons at the Ravenclaw. Alex lifts her drink to her mouth slowly, watching one of the Drumstrang boys look across and meet her eye. She takes a sip of her drink, raising a brow, "Hey!"

She looks at Ron putting on a sweet smile, "Who are you looking at?"

"Well, Ronald, I'm surprised you noticed seems you couldn't get your eyes off those girls arses." Ginny snorts into her food and Ron turns bright pink mumbling something about 'didn't mean to.'

Rolling her eyes she looks across meeting the boy's eyes again and winking before shoving food into her mouth and talking with Hermione and Ginny.

"Your attention please," Dumbledore calls, "I would like to say a few words. Eternal glory, that is what awaits the student who wins the tri-wizard tournament. But to do this that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks."

"Wicked." The twins- and Alex- say in usion, the trio looking at each other with a smirk.

"For this reason the ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the head of the department of international magic cooperation Mister Bartimus Crouch."

Thunder roars overhead on the ceiling, rain begins leaking through the roof and screams break out amongst the students. A strange man stands in the doorway, he limps forward looking around the room, he casts a spell upwards and seals the roof.

"Bloody hell, it's Mad-Eye Moody." Alex says watching the man limp towards Dumbledore.

"Alastor Moody? The Auror." Hermione questions.

"Auror?" Dean questions.

Ron straightens up and looks over everyone's heads to see, "He was a catcher. Half the cells in Azkaban are full thanks to him. He's supposed to be mad as a hatter though these days."

Alex nods in agreement, pinching a bit of food off of his plate when he's not looking, "Dad used to know him, he was there when Mum died."

"What's that he's drinking do you suppose?"

Harry shrugs as he eyes the man warily, "I don't know but I don't think its Pumpkin Juice."

Barty Crouch walks forward taking his place at the front of the Great Hall, "After much deliberation the ministry has concluded that for their own safety no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put forth their name for the tri-wizard tournament. This decision is final."

"That's rubbish! You don't know what you're doing!"

"Silence!"

Dumbledore casts a spell over a box which melts into a goblet containing a large blue flame.

"The Goblet of Fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves for the tournament merely write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly, if chosen there's no turning back. As from this moment the tri-wizard tournament has begun."