Chapter 4

"Will you stop eating?" Hermione says hitting both Ron and Alex with her book as the pair shove food into their mouths, "Your best friend is missing."

"Oi, turn around, you lunatic?"

They turn to see Harry walking towards them a tissue stuck up his nose, "He's covered in blood again. Why is it he's always covered in blood?"

"Looks like it's his own this time."

"Where have you been?" Hermione questions as Harry sits beside Ginny, "What happened to your face?"

"It's always been like that."

Harry sends Alex an unamused look and she shrugs, "Later. What did I miss?"

"Alex ran across three house tables trying to avoid McGonagall, should've seen the look on Parkinson's face when Lex hit her goblet over her robes," Harry looks over at her and she shrugs as she tucks into her food, "Sorting Hat says we ought to be brave and strong in these trouble times. Easy for it to say, though. It's a hat, isn't it?"

"Very best of evenings to you all. Thanks. First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff. Horace Slughorn. Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post... as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts... will be taken by Professor Snape."

"As you know, each and every one of you were searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once, there was a young man. Like you, sat in this very hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept under this roof. You see, to all the world, a student like any other.

"His name, Tom Riddle. Today of course, is known all over the world by another name. Which is why as I stand, looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps... dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, that greatest weapon... is you. Just something to think about. Now off to bed, pip-pip."

"That was cheerful."

~~~~~

"History of Magic is upstairs, ladies, not down. Mr. Davis, Mr. Davis, that is the girls' lavatory. Potter."

The smile on Harry's face drops as Alex falls back against the wall trying to get out of her Grandmother's line of vision, "Oh, this can't be good."

"Enjoying ourselves, are we?"

"I had a free period this morning, Professor."

McGonagall nods and raises a brow at him, "So I noticed. I would think you would want to fill it with Potions. Or is it no longer your ambition to become an Auror?"

"Well, it was, but I was told to have to get an Outstanding in my O.W.L."

"So you did, when Professor Snape was teaching Potions. However, Professor Slughorn's perfectly happy to accept N.E.W.T. students with "Exceeds Expectations"."

Harry nods his head and looks around awkwardly, "Brilliant, um... Well, I'll head there straight away."

"Oh, good, good. Potter, take Weasley with you. He looks far too happy over there." Harry turns back to see Ron laughing at something Alex had said, "And tell Alexandra with hair that colour she easily stands out." She looks back to the purple haired girl who is pointing and laughing at a first year.

"Will do, Professor, and just so you know," He turns to look back at his Head of House, "She was with me in the Summer." McGonagall nods gesturing for him to go.

Ron groans as he swings Alex's satchel over his shoulder while she ties her hair up in a messy bun, changing it so the bottom half is a light pink that fades into a dark purple the further towards her roots it goes, "I don't want to take Potions. There's Quidditch trials coming up, I need to practice."

"Attention to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all plan- Harry, my boy, I've been beginning to worry, oh, Miss. Black, I was hoping to see you here, too. You brought someone with us, I see."

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at Potions. A menace, actually so. I'm probably just gonna-"

Ron tries turning but Alex grabs him by the robes turning him around as she whispers, "If I'm going to suffer, so are you."

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out."

"I'm sorry, sir, I haven't actually got my book yet and nor is Ron or Alex."

"I wasn't planning on taking this stu-" Harry elbows her and she clears her throat, "Subject."

Slughorn smiles gesturing to a cupboard at the back of the room, "Not to worry, get what you want from the cupboard. Now as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be? Yes, Miss...?"

"Granger, sir," Hermione says stepping forward and looking at the two potions, "That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. It's terribly tricky to make. This is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world..."

Alex, Ron and Harry look between each other as they see two neat and tidy looking books and one worn out one. The three of them jump forward at the same time all of them struggling to get the good book.

Alex punches the two boys making them yelp as she jumps back with a good book, Ron smiles as they both high five and Harry hits their books down with his as they walk over to the group. "It's rumoured to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them."

"Yes, yes, umm, Miss. Black."

"Sir?" She asks looking up.

He points to the potion and she steps back while the other girls-minus Hermione- take a step forward, "What do you smell, Miss. Black?"

"Probably Death." Pansy snickers.

She rolls her eyes, "Better than smelling your breath, Pugface, honestly, do you have a tooth brush? Guess you can't help it with dog breath can you?"

"Miss. Black, the potion?"

"Oh, right, uh..." She steps forward taking in a deep breath, "Freshly mown grass and new parchment and... uh- Piña Coladas." She steps back by Hermione quickly as Slughorn covers up the potion.

"Now Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible, but it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room."

A student points towards the small vial that's left, "Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one."

"Oh yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion, known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly known referred to as-"

"Liquid luck."

Slughorn nods proudly, "Yes, Miss Granger. Liquid luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you'll find that all of your endeavours succeed. At least until the effects wear off. So this is what I offer each of you today."

"One tiny vial of liquid luck to the student who in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Dead. Recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books. Issue one doubt, however. Only one set of student manage to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence."

Alex yawns tiredly and rests her hand on her head as she watches everyone brew their potions, "Miss. Black?"

"Yes?"

"Where's your potion?" Slughorn asks.

She points to the melted Cauldron, "I almost got there, sir, it turned the right colour, but I think I stirred it one too many times because it went this horrible green and spilt everywhere."

"Would you like another go?"

"I'm good."

"Merlin's beard!" Slughorn yells as he approaches Harry's cauldron, "It is perfect! So perfect I'd just say one drop would kill us all! Here we are then, as promised. One vial of Felix Felicis. Congratulations. Use it well." He pats Harry on the back and Hermione huffs as tries to tame her frizzy hair.