Chapter 14

"Okay, so just, be careful." Hermione says.

Alex quickly hugs Harry before pushing him away, "Don't die, yeah?"

He shakes his head with a chuckle and walks over to Dumbledore as they take their seats in the crowd.

"Earlier today Professor Moody placed the tri-wizards cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now as Mr Diggory..." The crowd cheers loudly and Cedric smiles giving a small wave to his friends, "and Mr Potter are tied for first position they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr Krum..."

Again he's cut off by cheers from the Bulgarians, looking back Alex catches sight of Ivan who looks over at her, Ron glares at him and turns her towards the front, "Just ignore him, Lex, he's not worth your time."

"He might be worth a hex though."

"The first person to touch the cup will be the winner. I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants, gather round."

They watch the contestants huddle around and talk before turning back to the maze, "On the count of three... One..." He's cut off by the cannon. The band begins to play and Harry slowly walks into the maze.

Alex shivers and rubs her hands together, despite it being summer the cold air sends chills down her spine, "You cold?"

She looks up at him a little surprised he'd actually talk to her as they've only spoken five words to each other the past few months, "A little." She admits.

Ron places a woollen hat on her head and she smiles up at him sheepishly before looking over as Seamus waves around a flag. She snorts loudly and elbows Ron, "Uh, Seamus, mate?"

"Yeah?"

He looks over at the pair who are trying hard not to laugh, "Who did your face paint?"

"Dean, why?"

"What's it supposed to say?" Alex asks looking at Dean who stands in front of them.

"Potter, why? What's it say?"

Ron snorts again and Alex burst into laughter, "What's is say?"

"It says 'Pooper'." Hermione reads rolling her eyes.

Dean turns away from him to hide his laughter before running off as Seamus chases after him, "You bloody git! I asked for Potter!"

~~~~~

"Harry! Harry!" The crowd cheers as Harry lands on the ground with Cedric.

Harry begins to cry out hysterically and Alex furrows her brows as she walks forward, "Tell me what happened!" Dumbledore orders hiding them from the crowd.

"He's back, he's back! Voldemort's back. Cedric, he asked me to bring his body
back. I couldn't leave him, not there."

"It's alright Harry. It's alright, he's home, you both are."

"Keep everybody in their seats. A boy has just been killed. The body must be moved Dumbledore, there are... too many people."

Alex gasps and covers her mouth with her hand, she steps back hitting into Ron's chest who places an arm around her shoulders holding her close to him.

"Let me through! That's my son! My boy!"

Amos falls to the floor beside Cedric as Moody attempts to rip Harry away from the body, "No! No!"

Mad-Eye grabs Harry and pulls him away as the crowd look on in distraught, Amos cries fill the air and Alex sniffles lightly causing Ron to pull her closer to him.

~~~~~

"Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was as you all know, exceptionally hard working, intricately fair minded, and most importantly a fierce, fierce friend. I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died."

Alex looks down at her feet her mind racing before looking around the hall trying to focus her gaze, she sits between Ron and Harry, her one hand placed on Harry's shoulder while the other lays in her lap.

"You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I think would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."

Ron looks up at Alex to see her gaze focused on Dumbledore at the front, he knows that even if the pair didn't speak often, she and Cedric where quite good friends, and right now she's trying not to cry. Silently, he grabs her small hand in his big one and squeezes it gently allowing his lips to tug up ever so lightly when she squeezes back.

"In light of recent events the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that. And we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end."

~~~~~

"Write to me. Promise." Viktor slips a piece of paper into Hermione's hand and she nods.

"Bye."

The crowd cheers as the two schools begin to leave, Gabrielle runs over to Alex and surprises the girl by giving her a hug, "Thank you."

"Uh, you're welcome, again?"

She turns to Harry beside her and raises a brow, "Is that a French thing? Am I like- I just don't get it." He chuckles and shakes his head at his best friend before saying goodbye to Fleur.

"Do you think we'll ever just have a quiet year at Hogwarts?" Ron asks as the Quartet take off down the open corridor.

"No."

"No, I don't think so."

"Be a bit bloody boring if we did, don't you think?"

Hermione sighs as she swings herself around the corridor, "Everything's going to change now isn't it?"

Harry nods, "Yes."

"Promise you'll write this summer. All of you."

"Well I won't," Alex hits him in the stomach as they walk down the corridor, "Ow, Lex! You know I won't!"

"Harry will, won't you?"

Harry nods sarcastically leaning his forearms on the balcony, "Yeah. Every week."

"Boys."

"'Boys' indeed. Will you right, Alex?"

"Probably not, let's be fair."