Chapter 2

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Now, I'd like to say a few words... before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin... who's kindly consented to fill the post... of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor."

Realisation dawns on Hermione, "Of course. That's why he knew to give you the chocolate, Harry."

"Potter," Draco calls from the table over, "Is it true you fainted?" A Slytherin boy, Theodore Nott, who sits beside the blonde pretends to faint making the other Slytherin students chuckle, I mean, you actually fainted?"

Alex rolls her eyes and gives him the finger, "Shove off, Malfoy."

"How did he find out?" Harry asks.

Hermione shakes her head, "Just forget it."

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher... has decided to retire... in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce... that his place will be taken by none other... than our own Rubeus Hagrid. Finally, on a more disquieting note... at the request of the Ministry of Magic... Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban... until such a time as Sirius Black is captured."

"The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now whilst I've been assured... that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities... a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They'll not distinguish... between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you... to give them no reason to harm you.

"It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving. But you know, happiness can be found... even in the darkest of times... if one only remembers to turn on the light."

Alex nods as she piles food onto her plate, "So, it wasn't a ghost, no wonder it didn't leave when I told it too."

Her three friends give her a 'really?' look and she shrugs, "You mean, no wonder the giant cloaked figure didn't listen to the small 5 foot, baby blue haired girl?"

"Hey!" She says looking at the few strands of her hair that are now a blue colour, "I'm 5'2!"

~~~~~

"Fortuna Major." Harry speaks as they stop in front of the portrait.

"Here, listen."

Alex, who as usual is paying no attention, walks straight into Harry's back, "What's the hold up?"

"She just won't let me in. Fortuna Major."

"No, no, no. Wait, wait. Watch this," The Fat Lady attempts to sing and break the glass only resulting in people covering their ears, quickly she smashes the glass against the wall and fake gasps, "Oh, amazing! Just with my voice."

Alex rolls her eyes as she steps forward, "Fortuna Major."

"Yes, all right. Go in."

"Thank you." Harry says sarcastically.

Alex groans as she rubs her ears, "She's a terrible singer, I think my ears are bleeding."

"I heard that!"

"Lucky you, I can barely hear a thing!" She shouts back.

Alex groans as she flops down onto her bed, "What do you have first tomorrow?" Hermione asks pulling off her robe and laying it on the back of her chair.

Alex shrugs her shoulders, "Divination."

Hermione groans loudly and Alex chuckles lightly at her friend, "Why did we even take it?" She questions.

"Extra credit?"

Hermione nods repeating the words back to herself as if trying to convince herself.

Alex finally changes out of her robes and walks down to the common room leaving Hermione to study in peace.

When she enters the common room it's mostly quiet, Ron sits on the sofa, half asleep as he reads over the new material given to him by Professor McGonagall.

"Hey," Alex yawns as she sits beside him looking at the book over his shoulder, she smiles at Jellybean who is curled up on Ron's lap, "I see you two are friends."

Ron looks down at the cat, forgetting she was even there, "I suppose."

She shakes her head with a chuckle and grabs the small Walkman, given to her by her uncle Chris. "What's that?" Ron questions looking at it sceptically.

She hands him one of the ear buds and clicks play, he jumps slightly when music fills his ears. 'Escape' plays over the Walkman and the pair smile at each other.

"You're obsessed with his song."

She shrugs, "Uncle Chris told me my father sued to sing this when my mum was pregnant, guess it just makes me feel like I actually know him." She admits.

The pair nod their heads to the music, "I was tired of my lady, we'd been together too long."

"Like a worn out recording of a favourite song."

The pair giggle at Ron's attempt to sing, "You're a terrible singer, Ronald."