Chapter 12

"We need to get you to the hospital wing, sir to Madam Pomfrey." Harry says as they land back on the Astronomy tower.

"No... Severus, Severus is who I need. Wake him. Tell him what happened. Speak to no one else. Severus, Harry." Suddenly a noise startles them making them look towards the door, "Hide yourself below. Don't speak or be seen by anybody without my permission. Whatever happens, it's imperative you stay below. Harry, do as I say. Trust me. Trust me, Alex."

Alex and Harry quickly run towards the stairs and run down them taking cover just as someone enters above them, "Good evening, Draco. What brings you here on this fine spring evening?"

"Who else is here? I heard you talking."

"I often talk aloud to myself. I find it extraordinarily useful. Have you been talking to yourself, Draco?"

Draco ignores him as he holds his wand up in front of him, "Draco, you are no assassin."

"How do you know what I am? I've done things that would shock you."

"Oh, like cursing Katie Bell and hoping that in return she would bear a cursed necklace to me? Like replacing a bottle of mead with one lace with poison. Forgive me, Draco, I cannot help feel these actions are so weak that your heart can't really have been in."

Alex goes to run up but Harry catches her arm shaking his head quickly, "Trust me, Harry."

He tightens his grip, "Alex, no."

"Harry, trust me."

"Expelliarmus!" The wand in Dumbledore's hand falls to the floor and Draco takes in a shaky breath.

"Very good. Very good. You're not alone."

The pair turn upon hearing footsteps to see Alex, "Draco-"

"What are you doing here?"

She steps forward as he keeps his wand pointed towards Albus who sends Alex a pleading look, that she ignores.

"You have to leave, Alex."

She shakes her head taking another step forward, "Draco, listen to me."

"No, you listen to me, you need to leave, now."

She shakes her head quickly and glances down at Harry who sends her a confused look, "Remember all those times up here? You told me you didn't want to be like your father, Draco, don't be, make your own choices."

"Don't you understand? I have to do this, I have to, I don't have a choice."

"Draco-" A noise sounds in the distance making their heads turn towards the door.

"There are others. How?"

"The Vanishing Cabinet in the Room of Requirement. I've been mending it."

Dumbledore nods seemingly proud, "Let me guess, it has a sister."

Draco nods quickly looking away from Alex, "A twin. In Borgin and Burkes. They form a passage."

"Ingenious. Draco, years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices. Please let me help you."

"I don't want your help. Don't you understand? I have to do this. I have to kill you. Or he's gonna kill me."

They both turn to look at Alex as the noise gets closer, "Leave."

"No."

"Alex, you must go."

She stubbornly shakes her head and looks at Draco with her hand outstretched, "Truce?"