Chapter 7

"So how was it, then?" Ron asks as he sits down beside Alex for breakfast.

"How is what?"

"Your dinner party?"

Hermione sighs, "Pretty boring actually. But I think Harry enjoyed dessert. Slughorn's having Christmas, do you know? I'm about to bring someone."

"Do I have to go?"

Harry and Hermione instantly nod, "Yes."

"Fine, but there's only one person I'm taking."

"I expect you'll be bringing McLaggen. He's in the Slug Club, isn't he?"

"Actually, I was going to ask you."

Ron's brows raise to his hair line as he sits up straighter, "Really?"

Lavender walks over looking at Ron and ignoring the other three, "Good luck today, Ron. I know you'll be brilliant."

Ron awkwardly smiles watching as she walks away, "I'm resigning. After today's match, McLaggen can have my spot."

Harry shrugs, "Have it your way, juice?"

"Sure." Ron takes the drink just as Luna approaches wearing a giant Lion's head hat.

"Hello, everyone. You look dreadful, Ron. Is that why you put something in his cup? Is it a tonic?"

Hermione and Alex snap their heads towards Harry as he tucks away a vile into his pocket, "Liquid luck. Don't drink it, Ron. You could be expelled for that."

"What are we talking about?"

Ron looks up with a smile as he downs it, "Come on, Harry, Alex, we've got a game to win."

~~~~~

"Weasley! Weasley! Weasley! Weasley! Weasley! Weasley!"

Alex smiles shaking her head as she stands beside Hermione and Harry watching the crowd chant for Ron, "You shouldn't have done it."

"I know. I supposed I could have just used the Confundus charm."

"Alex told me to!"

"Mione!" Alex gasps hitting her arm, "I did no such thing- okay, but if McLaggen was on the team I would have thrown myself off the tallest hoop."

"Besides," Hermione sighs, "That was different. That was try-outs, this was an actual game," Hermione's eyes widen as Harry holds up the vial, "You didn't put in? Ron only thought you did."

They look up just as Lavender jumps up and pulls Ron into a kiss. The smile instantly falls from Alex's faces, sensing her sadness Hermione turns to her just in time to see her grabbing a drink from a passing student and downing it in one gulp.

"I need something stronger." She mumbles walking off into the direction of the drinks table.

Hermione sighs but doesn't follow she just turns to glare at Ron who hasn't even noticed the absence of their friend. "Harry," Hermione says quietly, "Go find her."

"Why me?" He asks watching Alex walk out of the portrait hole.

Hermione sighs rolling her eyes, "Because you're like her brother, if I go down there she won't open up to me, she knows you're too stupid."

"Thanks."

Hermione rolls her eyes shoving him into the direction of the portrait.

Harry wanders around for a while before he finds her in an abandoned corridor leaning against the wall humming to herself as she drinks from a bottle of fire whiskey, "D'you think I'm over reacting?"

He sits beside her and shrugs taking a sip from the bottle before handing it back, "Harry?"

"Yes?"

"Never mind." She sighs resting her head on his shoulder.

"I have feeling for him," She whispers quietly, "Ron, you know, is that weird?"

"No." Harry says quietly resting his head on top of hers, "I thought he had feelings for you too."

She scoffs, "Obviously, he's playing tonsil tennis with Violet."

"Lavender."

"Same colour." She shrugs.

"How does it feel, Harry? When you see Dean with Ginny? I know. I see the way you look at her. You're my brother, I notice these things."

"Oops! I think this room's taken." Lavender sings, Alex looks up raising an unamused brow as the girl giggles dragging Ron behind her.

Ron stops looking between them, "What's with the drink? Lex, are you okay?"

She just glares at him getting to her feet and watching him as Lavender drags him away, "It feels like this." Harry mutters.

Alex sighs grabbing the bottle from the floor and walking away, "Where are you going?"

"To wallow in self-pity."

Alex wanders the corridors until she finds herself walking up the steps of the Astronomy towers, when she gets to the top she sees a head of pale blonde hair leaning against the railings, "Hope you're not hoping to jump off," She jokes, "That'll make me look really unoriginal."

Draco flinches at the sudden voice and looks over at Alex who sighs leaning against the wall opposite him, "What are you doing here, Black?"

She looks over unimpressed, "Going for a swim, what does it look like I'm bloody doing?"

He rolls his eyes turning away from her, "What? No witty remark? No making fun of me because I'm an orphan now?"

"Are you drunk?"

"No... yes."

He walks over taking the bottle from her but she snatches it right back, "Don't touch."

"I'm not going to make fun of you." He says quietly looking back out over Hogwarts.

Alex chokes on the drink and raises her brows, "You feeling okay there, Malfoy?"

"I'm sorry, about your dad."

"Thanks." She says slowly, "Sorry your dad is a prick."

Alex's eyes widen when she hears Draco chuckle to himself, "You know, technically you and I are cousins."

She nods taking another large gulp from her bottle. Draco turns to her suddenly holding his hand out, she raises a brow squinting to see him better, "Truce? It'll make me feel better."

Instead of shaking his hand she hands him the bottle, "Truce." She confirms leaning against the railings and allowing the wind to push her hair over her shoulders as he takes a drink.

"Can I ask you something, Malfoy?"

"Pretty sure you're going to whatever I say."

"That's right," She says turning to look at him, "Why do you act the way you do? Why are you so rude to everyone?"

Draco stays quiet and quickly looks away, "Is it because of your father? Or are you just a dick?"

"Both, I'm pretty sure." He shrugs and Alex lets out a quiet chuckle taking the drink back from him.

"Never thought I'd be doing this." She admits.

"Drinking on school property?"

"Having a civil conversation with you."