Chapter 55

Thank you for 244k! ❤️ Plot twist warning... 😏
.
.
.

"C'mon Kat, you shouldn't have to listen to this," Hayes tells me.

"Shh," I snap.

"I don't understand why you mess with her like that!"

"Who? Katya?"

"Don't call her that!"

"Can we just go into the living room please?" Hayes begs.

I press my ear against the door.

"I can call her whatever the hell I want, Cameron. What's your problem anyway?"

"No man, what's your problem? Huh? Why are you acting all crazy these days?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Kat please." Hayes grabs my arm.

I yank it away.

"Is it to mess with her head? Is that it? You want her to feel sorry for you so she'll fall for you?"

Silence.

"Answer me, Goddammit!"

"You're out of your Goddamn mind Cameron, if that's what you think."

Hayes grabs a hold of my hand again and I let him lead me into his room. I sit on the bed, the argument still audible through the thin walls.

"What happened Kat? What did my mom say?" Hayes asks.

It then occurs to me that Hayes doesn't know what really happened to Charlie. He, along with everyone else, thinks she ran away and left him. I suddenly can't breathe.

"She's dead," I tell him.

"Who's dead? I don't..."

Hayes stops speaking and sits down next to me, staring at the floor.

"Charlie," he says.

I nod, letting him process the information I've known for months.

"Did you know her well? Charlie?" I ask him.

"Not really. I only knew her from what Nash told me about her. I saw her a couple times, but I don't think we ever had a conversation," he says.

"So Nash really loved her, huh?"

I know it's selfish of me to say, I can't help it.

"Yeah he did. And in a way, I loved her too. Or at least I loved how happy she made him," he tells me.

If only he knew the truth.

It seems like he was in a trance because suddenly he looks at me and quickly says, "But I'm not saying you don't make him happy or that he doesn't love you."

"I know, Hayes."

"You don't know shit about my life!"

"Oh yeah, being Nash Grier is so hard isn't it? One little personality disorder and your life is over, right? Right?!"

"Oh my God," I say, quickly running to the room.

"Kat wait!" Hayes calls after me.

"Maybe life would be easier if you weren't such a dick all the time!" Cameron shouts.

"Cameron stop," I demand.

"Oh look, your girlfriend is here to save you."

"Don't." Nash steps in front of me.